Want solution on access utilization of RAM by SQL server 2005

• Dear All,

My Database is SQL Server 2005. It is having 32Gb ram. In which Sql server taking 28 gb. After investigating why it is taking 28gb ram I came to know BufferPool taking lot of space for dirty page and clean page. Due to access of ram utilization in performance point of view I am facing problem.:doze:

Please can I get any solution on it which solve my problem.:-)

• 2M (8/21/2016)

Dear All,

My Database is SQL Server 2005. It is having 32Gb ram. In which Sql server taking 28 gb. After investigating why it is taking 28gb ram I came to know BufferPool taking lot of space for dirty page and clean page. Due to access of ram utilization in performance point of view I am facing problem.:doze:

Please can I get any solution on it which solve my problem.:-)

What's the problem you're having? I see that SQL is consuming 28 GB of your 32 GB, but is that really a problem? What's normal for this server?

High memory use is a feature, not a bug. SQL is caching data so it doesn't have to be read from disk the next time the data is needed. It's also caching query plans so they don't have to be rebuilt the next time the query runs. This caching will be flushed out of memory as memory is needed elsewhere. Reading from memory is cheaper than reading from disk, so it wants to cache all it can.

You can adjust the maximum memory you let SQL Server have, but you should know if it's really a problem first.

• due to this our server RAM utilization is almost 96% all the time , the moment we shut down SQL Services RAM Utlizatin drops below 5%

when we checked the process Only SQL and Repoerting Servies are the highest utlised proceses

• 2M (8/22/2016)

due to this our server RAM utilization is almost 96% all the time , the moment we shut down SQL Services RAM Utlizatin drops below 5%

when we checked the process Only SQL and Repoerting Servies are the highest utlised proceses

Yup, that's exactly how SQL is supposed to behave. Nothing wrong there, no problems that need solving.

It is supposed to take as much memory as it is allowed (up to max server memory) for caching of data, plans and various other things.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply