WA_sys indexes (Who, where, why???)

• Guys, I am struggling with some WA_sys indexes on one of my databases. I generally keep auto statistics enabled, as is best practice according to Microsoft. But I have never seen WA_sys indexes created until I ran "sp_updatestats" one day. The database that I ran it on got tons of new indexes. Since there were a few performance complaints, the development team is blaming the problems on these new indexes.

I know the topic has been brought up before, but I am still struggling to understand exactly why these are created and what they do. I have read in some places that they aren't real indexes at all - they're just somehow related to statistics. But based on what I see in my database, I'm not entirely convinced. In fact after doing some testing, I have someone saying that a query ran 20 seconds faster after all these new indexes were dropped from a particular table.

Could anyone give me a little more insight on why they were generated, and what I should do with them (e.g. keep, drop)? The only performance issue I can forsee is that if 15 or 20 new indexes have been added to a table (as in some cases), inserts and updates could suffer.

• Those aren't indexes. They're automatically created statistics.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for your reply. But this doesn't add up for the following reasons:

A. They are displayed as indexes in SSMS

B. If I script one out to a query editor window, they look like indexes

C. They have identically named cousins in the statistics folder already, so why the duplication?

D. If I write an appropriate SELECT query, the Actual Execution plan returned by SSMS tells me it did an index scan on it

So from what I can see, these actually are indexes, otherwise queries wouldn't use them to retieve data.

• Then someone has manually gone and added indexes matching to auto created stats. SQL will not create indexes automatically. The only thing it creates automatically are statistics and the WA_Sys_* naming is what it uses for automatically created statistics.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • refer this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966419.aspx

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply