VSS support

• Am I right in thinking that the next version of Visual Studio (Whidbey?) will have integrated support for Visual Source Safe? So developers shouldn't use QA/EM again....   Or has it something to do with Yukon?

• Visual Studio already has support for VSS built in ( VS 6 did too ).

Yukon will allow you to integrate code into the database, so I guess it will probably have VSS support built in to it.

I wouldn't be suprised if they move VSS to use MSSQL as a back end, rather than its own flat file format it uses currently.

• I know Visual Studio supports VSS for code, but I'm looking for support for database objects, specifically stored procs. They should be handled exactly like code modules.

• Although not as tightly integrated as Visual Studio, we have written a stand alone application which connects to SQL via SQLDMO and scripts all the objects to VSS.  Works very well and at a reasonable speed.

• This is not a commercial, but check out mssqlXpress at http://www.mssqlxpress.com.

It's a great IDE for SQL Server with tons of goodies Microsoft will never implement. It also has it's own history (changed scripts saved to its own database on SQL Server). You can connect to SCC (VSS or any other SCC API) too (haven't tested that yet).

I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I love it. There may be some glitches, but they get fixed fast. More people use it, less time it will take for it to become even better.

How do you edit a view, sp, udf, trigger?

Open QA, generate script, edit, execute, save script, put to SCC?

In mssqlXpress just double click in object browser and ALTER script is generated. Edit, verify (execute with rollback - you wont find this in QA), execute, as you like. Then just close the window. All changes at executions are automatically saved to history.

Switching from QA was easy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply