VPN access to a SQL Server 2000 box...

• This is somewhat of a networking question, however it is a known problem with SS2k.

We have sites in 4 states and are just (FINALLY!) getting around to implementing a VPN solution. So far I can connect to the SS7 boxes with no problems. I can connect to the SS2k boxes for basic disk access. What I am not able to do, so far is connect to the SS2k database engine with any client over the VPN.

I looked on the MS KB for answers and found that it is a known problem in SS2k. The solution, install sp2 and restart after making the connection. Hmmmm.... All of these boxes have sp2 on them. They have all been restarted but still no connection via a client.

Has anyone run into this problem? Am I misunderstanding something?

Any help is appreciated.

Richard L. Dawson

Database Admin/Developer

ICQ# 867490

Richard L. Dawson
    Microsoft Sql Server DBA/Data Architect

I can like a person. People are arrogant, ignorant, idiotic, irritating and mostly just plain annoying.

• We were never able to get the EM to connect fully over a SSH connection at my work. I terminal into my main box once the SSH session is connected and do what I need to from there. If I remember correctly there were some IPC$ blocking issues? All the ports were open but acknowlegement from the sqlserver wasn't making back to the EM via SSH.

Wes

• Can you confirm that your network is allowing through the port number that SS2000 is listening on? If you have a non-default instance, this won't be 1433.

There are articles in the KB about this.

Regards

Simon

• I believe the issue where IPC$ has been mentioned is due to the default permissions on this share. I think there is something on the KB about this one as well.

Simon

• Yep. I can ping them. The one in MO is a default instance. The four in CT are named instances.

Richard

quote:

Can you confirm that your network is allowing through the port number that SS2000 is listening on? If you have a non-default instance, this won't be 1433.

There are articles in the KB about this.

Regards

Simon

Richard L. Dawson

I can like a person. People are arrogant, ignorant, idiotic, irritating and mostly just plain annoying.

• I know that the default instance, EM uses 445 to connect as well as 1433, 1434. Are you using some redirection with SSH?

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

• Hi Steve, Thanks for responding. No, there is no redirection with ssh and the ports are all open. I can ping the server box the sql server resides on. I can not create a connection. There are three Sql Server 7 boxes on the same site that I can connect to with no problem. When I ping this particular box I get

response time avg 62 ms. When I try odbcping I get....

SQLState 28000 Native Error 18452

Msg ODBC SQL Server Driver... Login failed for user 'rdawson'. Reason Not associated with a trusted SQL Server Connection.

Richard

quote:

I know that the default instance, EM uses 445 to connect as well as 1433, 1434. Are you using some redirection with SSH?

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

Richard L. Dawson

• If you can ping, and you get an error indicating "Not associated with a trusted connection" it seems like you have network connectivity. Can you connect using an SQL profile? I can do just about anything at home, but have never been able to use NT integrated security to sign on, even though I sign onto a domain with Vpn.

Another problem I'd had (have, still) was I had to fully qualify my server names (I ended up entering them all into client network util). Fortunately for me, we had no need to use named instances..

-Ken

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply