Volume Does Not Belong to The Cluster Group

• I'm trying to install SQL 2014 Enterprise on a clustered Windows 2012 R2 and keep getting the error message "the volume that contains SQL Server data directory does not belong to the cluster group." It shows up in the Failover Cluster Manager as available storage, it lets me select it is an available option during install, but I keep getting the error. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

• RonMexico - Monday, October 15, 2018 11:21 AM

I'm trying to install SQL 2014 Enterprise on a clustered Windows 2012 R2 and keep getting the error message "the volume that contains SQL Server data directory does not belong to the cluster group." It shows up in the Failover Cluster Manager as available storage, it lets me select it is an available option during install, but I keep getting the error. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

Did you see this post -
    the volume that contains the sql server data directory <volume> does not belong to the cluster group

I'd try the last thing hinted at in the post - put the disks in maintenance mode and then take them back out of maintenance mode. Flipping that on/off seems to have worked for others.

Sue

• I showed that to the sys admin and he gave it a try but we didn't have any luck with it.

• RonMexico - Monday, October 15, 2018 11:21 AM

I'm trying to install SQL 2014 Enterprise on a clustered Windows 2012 R2 and keep getting the error message "the volume that contains SQL Server data directory does not belong to the cluster group." It shows up in the Failover Cluster Manager as available storage, it lets me select it is an available option during install, but I keep getting the error. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

are you installing a failover cluster instance?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• It tuns out it was a bad disk belonging to another role as part of a separate SQL instance that was causing issues with this install. Once that disk was formatted and added back to the role then everything seemed to work for this install. Seems kind of strange to me though given that everything associated with that role was working fine.

Perry - To answer your question, yes, I was trying to install it on a failover cluster.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply