VLDB Index rebuild best practices on Standard Edition server

• Hi there

I have a Windows 2003, MS SQL 2005 Standard Edition, 32 bit server.

Index rebuilds on a table (600mill records) take more than 4 hours to complete.

We cant upgrade to Enterprise (no budget) to make use of Partitioning.

What are the best practices for rebuilding indexes for VLDB, using Standard Edition? Is there possibly another method to make the index rebuilds a little faster?

Many thanks

A

• [font="Courier New"]

Few random thoughts.

Faster tempDB potentially RAID10, more RAM.

Or take the overhead of creating a custom partition in the old fashioned way using multiple tables and a view with a bunch UNION ALL tables.

Index rebuilds on these large tables will only help if you have massive scans on the data. If the usage pattern is only fetch small amount of data using seeks then index rebuilding will NOT help that much. Update Stats regularly and you should be fine.

Which build are you on SQL Server 2005? If you are on SP3 and above you should look at using LOCK PAGES IN MEMORY setting using the Trace flag.

[/font]

[font="Courier New"]Sankar Reddy | http://SankarReddy.com/[/url][/font]

• Yo may also want to look at why you are rebuilding the indexes. Is this a batch that just rebuilds them blindly on a set schedule? You may want to change the job to look at the index fragmentation level and make a decision to rebuild or not rebuild an index based on that value. If an index is not very fragmented, it doesn't need to be rebuilt, which will result in a faster job completion.

• Instead of one reindex job, can you create multiple reindex jobs, so to run them in parallel?

• What kinds of indexes are on this table?

How many indexes are you rebuilding for this table?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hi All

Thanks for all your replies.

All large tables' fragmentation level is between 60 and 90%. Im rebuilding all clustered indexes for all large tables which are heavily fragemented

Thanks

A

• I would look into doing the rebuilds more frequently and more targeted.

I would rebuild certain tables on certain nights and have a rebuild job running nightly.

Example:

TableA - monday night

TableB - tuesday night

and so on, depending on the number of tables and needs. The tables could be broken up into groups and each group would have a specific night for the reindex job.

Another option is to rebuild indexes based on filegroup - if you have multiple filegroups.

Learn Extended Events

• I would also look at perhaps changing the fillfactor a bit to leave more free space, and perhaps limit page splits.

• CirquedeSQLeil (7/27/2010)

I would look into doing the rebuilds more frequently and more targeted.

I would rebuild certain tables on certain nights and have a rebuild job running nightly.

Example:

TableA - monday night

TableB - tuesday night

and so on, depending on the number of tables and needs. The tables could be broken up into groups and each group would have a specific night for the reindex job.

Another option is to rebuild indexes based on filegroup - if you have multiple filegroups.

[font="Courier New"]Jason,

But the question here is about how to improve the performance of one table with 600 million records not many tables if I understand correctly. When rebuilding indexes, it hits the tempdb hard (sort in tempdb setting) to sort the data, so tempdb write performance is important but will NOT give you dramatic results.

Having large memory also helps, so that lazywriter doesn't have to work to keep enough free buffers available.

Spinning a custom partition solution with many tables with union all will definitely help but there is some complexity and maintenance overhead.

Fillfactor will NOT directly help the index rebuilds but in general I would definitely look at that as well. [/font]

[font="Courier New"]Sankar Reddy | http://SankarReddy.com/[/url][/font]

• Sankar Reddy (7/27/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (7/27/2010)

I would look into doing the rebuilds more frequently and more targeted.

Example:

TableA - monday night

TableB - tuesday night

[font="Courier New"]Jason,

But the question here is about how to improve the performance of one table with 600 million records not many tables if I understand correctly. When rebuilding indexes, it hits the tempdb hard (sort in tempdb setting) to sort the data, so tempdb write performance is important but will NOT give you dramatic results.

[/font]

Read the last post by the OP where he posted a response to my question. This is about multiple tables being reindexed.

Learn Extended Events

• Steve's idea of increasing fill factor is quite interesting and it may decrease the frequency of index rebuilds. Maybe there is a way to analyze if the clustered index required on this key, maybe a nonclustered will be more efficient. Also I would look at partitioned views, in many scenarios they may be more interesting option than partitioned tables, and they work on every edition of SQL Server.

Regards

Piotr

...and your only reply is slàinte mhath

• Sorry I haven't been back in here. I wasn't thinking that fillfactor would speed things up, but it might reduce the need to defragment.

I would also follow Piotr's advice of re-examining which key is clustered and which NCI.

• Too bad you might be also missing out on Parallel index operations which are available only in SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition and later, not just partitioning.

Simon Liew
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

• What's the bottleneck on your particular system? If your accounting methods leave you with a hardware budget without a software license budget, you can try throwing hardware at it.

If it's disk, I'd look very hard at SSD's to put one or more of the critical tables on.

Also, I second the fillfactor + targeted reindexing recommendation in order to need to defrag fewer of the large tables each cycle. I often find that using even a significantly lower fillfactor takes up fewer pages than the amount of fragmentation uses up between defrag cycles.

• 1) exactly what command is being issued to do your index maintenance on the large table?

2) are you using SORT_IN_TEMPDB option?

3) what is your tempdb IO configuration - is it on same spindles as other sql data/log files?

4) have you done an IO stall analysis on the server to see if you have IO problems?

5) do you have a lot of free space in the database or is it trying to grow during these maintenance windows? almost none of my clients proactively manage their database sizes and get into LOTS of trouble because of that.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply