Visual Studio License for SSDT

• Hi All

We have SQL SERVER 2016 on one of our servers. I need to Install SSDT for the same, In Microsoft website it is mentioned that for SSDT we need Visual Studio 2015 or above.

Can you guys please help in deciding which license i should buy for the same.

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/pricing/

Thanks

• you do not need visual studio - it is advisable, but not a requirement.

SSDT will install on its own a Visual Studio Shell which contains all that is needed to execute the program but without allowing the users to use functionality other than that contained on SSDT.

• To quote from the SSDT Page:

SSDT works best with Visual Studio 2015

If you don't have Visual Studio installed on your machine, installing SSDT will also install a minimal “Integrated Shell” version of Visual Studio 2015. This version of Visual Studio is free to install and use on as many machines as you wish. It gives you all the SQL Server project types, plus SQL Server Object Explorer and other SQL tools experiences.

If you do have Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition (or above) installed on your machine, installing SSDT will add the full set of SQL Server tools into your existing Visual Studio installation. Visual Studio includes many features you might want to use, such as Source Code Control integration and non-SQL language support. We recommend using Visual Studio 2015 Community or above to get the best experience when developing T-SQL.

Emphasis mine.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply