Visual Source Safe in sql server

• we are planning to implement Change management system in our company.

Are there any known bottle necks integrating VSS with sql server 2005/2008. Not able to find much online.

Any idea/reviews about dbghost tool for version control ?

• To the best of my knowledge, VSS and SQL Server are integrated. They have Team Foundation platform, but that's a pretty big deal if you're a small shop.

• Wow, I didn't even know DBGhost was still around.

Getting your database into source control is actually pretty easy. The hard part is establishing a disciplined development and deployment process around it so that you are only ever deploying from source control. It's something that developers become adept at with their use of Visual Studio and it's direct integration, but that database pro's tend to balk at a little since SSMS doesn't generally integrate directly with source control.

This is a topic I've written about a ton. First off, the deployment chapters in SQL Server Team-based Development are all about using source control for development and deployment. Then, I've got a couple[/url] of articles[/url] here on SSC[/url] on the topic[/url] and a couple[/url] over on Simple-Talk[/url]. You can also hit my Scary DBA blog & my Scarlet & Scary blog.

The tool I'd recommend is SQL Source Control[/url] from Red Gate software (my employer). It integrates directly with SSMS and source control.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Any reason you want to use VSS? Company mandate?

If your team isn't wedded to VSS, you might want to consider moving to Mercurial. We made that move last year, and I haven't looked back.

-Ki

• Or Team Foundation Services, or Vault, or SVN... anything but VSS.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Agreed completely.

-Ki

• True. everything but VSS 🙂 if you want to go cheap and simple, stay with SVN

as for the discipline of getting your database into version control, mentioned above... this tool does it all. install it and forget it. it'll make sure your databases are fully versioned:

http://nobhillsoft.com/randolph.aspx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply