Visual Design for Safety

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Visual Design for Safety

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Visual design has interested me for several years. I learned that having the right visual can convey a lot of information to the user. I'm a developer, so visual design isn't my strong suite. Nevertheless, I believe that anyone can learn the basics of visual design. Then, if you have a design person on your staff, they can take it further, but at least you can get the basics into the visual you're trying to convey information to the users.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• On a car dashboard a rev counter is a dial with a red zone.  You don't need to be able to read any figures, just know where the needle points in relation to that red zone.

I know where 30, 50 and 70mph is on the speedometer so don't need to be able to read those figures either.  Merely knowing the position of the needle tells me whether I am within the speed limit.  This I can do at a glance.  The information is so immediately apparent without the need to swap spectacles and minimises the amount of time my eyes are not focussing on the road.

In that respect my son's 25 year old Toyota Celica is much better than my wife's 2 year old car. It has a touch screen.

• Can't feel where the controls are
    • Have to take your eyes off the road
    • Have to spend time absorbing the information
    • Have to navigate to relevant info

The more I drive her car the more appalled I am that such a device was ever allowed in a car.  Using a mobile phone while driving is illegal in the UK.  Using what is in reality a large tablet is not.

I'm sure that the dashboard looked really cool as a concept, probably scored well when shown to focus groups.  To translate this into IT speak "Everything works on Powerpoint".

To make matters worse, sometimes the tablet simply does not work.  It just sits there with a "loading profile" message.  Sometimes the best solution is not an IT solution.

• Steve,  Thanks for the link to Storytelling with Data.

Regards,

Rich G

• David.Poole wrote:

...To make matters worse, sometimes the tablet simply does not work.  It just sits there with a "loading profile" message.  Sometimes the best solution is not an IT solution.

It works on my machine 😉

• docbrone60 wrote:

Steve,  Thanks for the link to Storytelling with Data.

Regards,

Rich G

you are welcome

• David.Poole wrote:

On a car dashboard a rev counter is a dial with a red zone.  You don't need to be able to read any figures, just know where the needle points in relation to that red zone.

In that respect my son's 25 year old Toyota Celica is much better than my wife's 2 year old car. It has a touch screen.

The more I drive her car the more appalled I am that such a device was ever allowed in a car.  Using a mobile phone while driving is illegal in the UK.  Using what is in reality a large tablet is not.

Agree with this in many respects. I wish the Tesla had more buttons for simple controls. The reality is that I don't need to check/change much, but when I do, it's not that safe while driving. Fortunately, their voice control is good and I can do most things with voice and the click of a real button.

I'm actually tempted to purchase a third party set of buttons that can be programmed for most things.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply