Vista upgrade from previous Windows''s

• I know that some members are running Vista, but has anybody done an upgrade from 2000 or XP to Vista, as opposed to buying it preinstalled on a new PC?

As a test, I did a reformat & then a clean install of Win2K, then installed the Vista Business Upgrade but it seems really fragile - in several months I've had numerous BSOD's claiming that hardware or config changes caused Windows to halt the system.

• I tried the XP/SP2 to Vista upgrade a few months back using my wife's notebook and quickly gave up. Thus the inital analysis Vista does on your computer comes up with a list of software that needs to be de-installed followed by a list of software that might not work. Can you believe that?

So, I'll be doing no Vista upgrades.

But I will buy Vista on a new computer. I guess I haven't got a choice.

• I have done 4 Vista installs on my various notebooks/tabletpc, one Ultimate and the others Business Premium.  I have not really had any problem, doing both a clean-wipe install and upgrades.  I upgraded 2 XP machines (one Toshiba TabletPC, and a Compaq running Home Edition with AMD processor) and have not had any significant problems.  The other 2 machines (Dell Inspiron and IBM Thinkpad) were clean installs on wiped and reformatted drives. On all installs, I had all drivers and they work OK. 

The only issue I have been having is on my main day-to-day development notebook (Dell Inspiron E1505), Windows Update had a wireless card driver update last month.  After that update, the wireless card would just stop working after about a half-hour after resuming from a suspend; a system restart was only thing that could keep the wireless card working.  I rolled back the driver update using device manager properties window, and have not had a problem since.

Mark

• I recently upgraded from XP MCE to Vista Ultimate.  I had to upgrade my bios, and set my disks to never turn off (even though they still do????)  to prevent sleep or hybernate from locking up.  But other than having to deregister my computer from itunes, and re-installing one program.  The upgrade went really well.  I have had no issues so far (knock,knock)...

• After further testing I realized that my Vista BSOD happens when I'm using Remote Desktop, connecting from Win XP Pro SP2 to my Vista test PC. This has happened quite often while using Office 2007 apps, but sometimes simply browsing with Windows Explorer will do the trick

I've already learned that after connecting with RDP, I need to wait about a minute before I click anything. The screen looks like I am fully logged-on to Vista but it's not stable for the first minute or so.

Have any of you upgraders tried Remote Desktop-ing into Vista?

• I have done a number of Vista (and Windows 2008) installs on my home machines.  They were all done on empty partitions as I did not want any side-affects from the old OS.  I have a TechNet subscription, so all my Vista installs are Premium Edition, both on 32-bit and 64-bit.  It all seems very stable, but it took a while to find all the right device drivers.  The learning curve for Vista and Office 2007 is a lot greater than for previous version so I am glad I retained the ability to multi-boot to XP.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Ed, my current question is - have you used Remote Desktop into Vista? The connection seems unstable.

I'm using Vista Business from my MS Action Pack subscription.

• William;

While I have not tried much to use Remote Desktop TO Vista, I did have a suggestion you may want to make sure you are doing. 

Are you using the new version of Remote Desktop Client program on XP?  There was a new release when Vista or Windows Server 2003 R2 was released, to take advantage of enhanced features (multiple monitor spanning for one).  I notice on the site there is another updated version dated last week.  You may want to try the new version client to see if it works better.  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80111f21-d48d-426e-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en

Hope this helps

Update: Sorry, that is the link for the original XP SP2 version.  The updated version is referenced in KB 925876 and can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=26f11f0c-0d18-4306-abcf-d4f18c8f5df9&DisplayLang=en

Mark

• Mark, thanks for the tip.

However, I might just have a bad PC here, dunno. I attempted connecting using RDP from another machine that is running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2, and the remoting file is:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\mstsc.exe, version 6.0.6000.16459 with a file date of 3/27/2007 and when I attempt to actually do anything on the Vista machine I still get the BSOD with this:

*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008,0x80131000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Any other ideas? TIA

• I assume you've checked on typical Stop: 0x000007f problems (mismatched memory modules, bad memory).  Since it appears to be hardware/driver issue, and only when remote connection, my guess would be video. 

• You aren't by chance using nVidia video adapter?  I've heard of Vista users having quite a bit of problems with nVidia  drivers. (http://www.wxpnews.com/archives/wxpnews-288-20070731.htm)
    • Are you running Dreamscene or Aero?  Might want to disable those, or maybe problem is that Remote Desktop is trying to disable those and that is the crash.

Just a few thoughts in case you had not thought on these.  Hope it helps.

Mark

• I think you've hit the nail on the head. The system board has integrated video with an Intel 815E chipset, no Vista drivers are available, so it is using a standard VGA adapter and only displays 8-bit color regardless of resolution. Imagine how awful that looks 🙁 Vista tells me it can only find 1 MB of video memory. Funny thing, when I RDP into the PC I get lots of colors, at least until it blows up.

Thanks to everybody for the replies.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply