Virtualize or not ?

• Brent Ozar did a very good job highlighting the goals:

http://www.theinfoboom.com/articles/virtualizing-databases-too-big-to-fail/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=0810#

First make sure, your goal matches that of the software users managers.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I've been doing my homework the last 2 days and got some information over a 48 hours period from Perfmon. Some numbers are encouraging while others raise some concerns.

Available MBytes: 8934, Our server has 32 Gigs and we set SQL Server to use a maximum of 20. Since I always have over 8 Gigs available I can only assume that my SQL Server uses all the 20 Gigs I assigned to it, which is normal, and that other apps and the OS use about 4 Gigs which means I could give more memory to SQL.

Pagefiles % Usage. Now that is interesting because for some reason our tech people created 2 pagefiles on 2 separate partitions that are on the same drive. The interesting thing is that one of them shows an average usage of 4.46% while the other is as 0.25%. How can the pagefiles be used while I have almost 9 GB of RAM available ? Should I conclude from this that the 20 Gigs I gave SQL Server isn't enough and that it has to use the pagefiles ?

Cache hit ratio: 99.9%, looks good there.

As for I/O's, I don't know yet how to interpret this, I'm gonna have to learn about that in the next few days but the numbers are very low so I think it's good.

On the database disk.

Avg Disk Sec/Read: 0.0014

Avg Disk Sec/Write: 0.0050

Disk reads/Sec: 7.49

Disk writes/Sec: 4.51

On the logs disk

Avg Disk Sec/Read: 0.0010

Avg Disk Sec/Write: 0.0044

Disk reads/Sec: 0.9

Disk writes/Sec: 6.8

% processor time.

799.35% for 8 CPU's. So it looks like my CPU's never go idle and at first I thought I had a big bottleneck here but my average processor queue length is at 0.04 with a max of 13. I'm not sure I interpret this correctly but it seems to me that hardly anything ever waits for the CPU although it used 100% of the time. I'll have to run a check on this but I think the antivirus on the server is responsible for that, it probably uses the CPU all the time but releasing it to other processes when required.

If I'm right on the processor time and if I can reduce the amount of pagefile usage by increasing memory available to SQL it looks to me like I wouldn't have any problems running this in a virtual machine.

• I am also thinking of adopting the virtualization technology. Thanks for sharing knowledge. I am new to it and want to know more about it. Thanks

• I put a form of this answer here, but I can add a bit here as well. As much as I hate to say it, this is a giant "it depends" answer. If your current SQL Server box is a beefy 128GB memory, 4x12 core proc box that is constantly running at 80% utilization it's probably not going to be the greatest candidate for virtualization. However if you have departmental SQL Server databases/instances that are sitting on 4GB machines running a dual-core processor and 99% idle, I'd say that's a good candidate for consolidation and/or virtualization.

Notice I threw consolidation on there? That's definitely another option if you want to still make use of some of your hardware without needing to virtualize. Also there's licensing concerns. If you consolidate you pay for one OS license as opposed to new one for each VM you spin up. There's lots of variables at play, just need to find what works best for you.

=============================================================
    /* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
    Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
    My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
    My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management

• you are probably looking to completely redesign your system and I think you should hire an expert for all your queries because you got lot of things to deal with and a minor mistake may affect your system very badly. you need a experienced MCSE AND MCSA Certified person along with any of the technical support team from vmware or hyper-v.

resume writing[/url] | examples of resumes[/url]

• frankcastle509 (12/28/2011)

you are probably looking to completely redesign your system and I think you should hire an expert for all your queries because you got lot of things to deal with and a minor mistake may affect your system very badly. you need a experienced MCSE AND MCSA Certified person along with any of the technical support team from vmware or hyper-v.

Either this is spam disguised as a totally non-sense comment OR ... let's pray is the first. Reported.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (12/28/2011)

frankcastle509 (12/28/2011)

you are probably looking to completely redesign your system and I think you should hire an expert for all your queries because you got lot of things to deal with and a minor mistake may affect your system very badly. you need a experienced MCSE AND MCSA Certified person along with any of the technical support team from vmware or hyper-v.

Either this is spam disguised as a totally non-sense comment OR ... let's pray is the first. Reported.

Another in the queue... But I am not sure... :unsure:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic734794-1454-1.aspx

• Well what made you think that I am spammer. I Recently graduated as B.E. Information Technology student and trying power myself with the knowledge of IT Infrastructure and further taking up MCSE AND SQL Course studies. The post was a huge one and I thought a forum advice is not just enough and felt that discussing this issues with a team of technical experts was an good idea. He needed lots of upgrades on his system. I know you are the author of book on database and a knowledgeable person but you should have corrected or rectified my mistake instead of highlighting me as a spammer.

hope u understand me.

• frankcastle509 (12/29/2011)

Well what made you think that I am spammer. I Recently graduated as B.E. Information Technology student and trying power myself with the knowledge of IT Infrastructure and further taking up MCSE AND SQL Course studies. The post was a huge one and I thought a forum advice is not just enough and felt that discussing this issues with a team of technical experts was an good idea. He needed lots of upgrades on his system. I know you are the author of book on database and a knowledgeable person but you should have corrected or rectified my mistake instead of highlighting me as a spammer.

hope u understand me.

Your post came off as "spammy" because it sounded like you weren't adding much to the discussion and looked like you were setting up to sell your own services. Having an MCSE/MCSA is not the end all, be all. Fact is that many certifications have lost their luster due to people just cramming for exam just to pass them and add the alphabet soup to their resumes. All a certification shows is that you were willing to study and complete something.

I'm an experienced consultant and administrator, a SQL Server MVP, and an author. My opinion and expertise is based on experience. That being said, I'm not certified on any platform (Hyper-V or VMware). In fact I only have one cert that I passed earlier in my career just to get a raise. Does that mean my input/advice is worth any less than someone who just graduated from college and got an MCSE/MCSA? Just some food for thought.

• Sounds like neither virtualization, nor throwing even more hardware at the problem will fix it.

We've had pretty good success in partnering with our vendors in sharing performance data such as worst performing queries, blocking reports, reccomended indexes, least used indexes, ect, in order to make things better for the end users.

Many times they want to hear about this stuff because they often don't have dev environments that are close what their customers use in production, nor can they afford a large qa team. If you approach them correctly, with a little time spent, you can make things better for your end users and they get a better product to sell.

• benjamin.reyes (12/30/2011)

Sounds like neither virtualization, nor throwing even more hardware at the problem will fix it.

We've had pretty good success in partnering with our vendors in sharing performance data such as worst performing queries, blocking reports, reccomended indexes, least used indexes, ect, in order to make things better for the end users.

Many times they want to hear about this stuff because they often don't have dev environments that are close what their customers use in production, nor can they afford a large qa team. If you approach them correctly, with a little time spent, you can make things better for your end users and they get a better product to sell.

Just make sure to charge them for the support (assuming your company had to pay for the product, too...)

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• A good (and recommended) way of seeing if your server is good candidate for virtualization is to use the MAP Toolkit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb977556.aspx

That will give you real nice analysis of how busy that server really is. If you run your analysis and CPU/memory/disk aren't being bottlenecked, you know your code sucks and you should get busy opitmizing. While virtualizing can potentially fix some headaches, it introduces more complexity that you may/may not be ready for.

• LutzM (12/30/2011)

Just make sure to charge them for the support (assuming your company had to pay for the product, too...)

I wish it worked that way. :hehe:

Though I'll settle for happy users. The payoff in productivity across the board is worth it.

• benjamin.reyes (12/30/2011)

LutzM (12/30/2011)

I wish it worked that way. :hehe:

Though I'll settle for happy users. The payoff in productivity across the board is worth it.

Agreed on that part. But to allow that vendor to sell your improvement to others just sound plain wrong. If they don't invest the money for proper testing, they shouldn't be allowed to make money with improvements made by customers. Sad. Just sad.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Well sir, I am not blaming anyone in this community but always trying to learn something which is knowledgeable and could be of great value to me.

Yes, experience is always respected more than what a certification is.

Frankly speaking I didn't passed any MCSE AND CCNA exam but I have attended all the training sessions for MCSE and CCNA and preparing for the exams as well.

I stepped in to this forum to learn from experienced and share with others as well. Finally try to share my knowledge as well.

I had worked and practiced on VMWARE and that tempted to read this post and post my views.

I am sorry if some of my posts looked spammy and will try to improve them further.

Thanks for the reply.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply