Virtual Server Name

• Hi,

We have windows server 2012 cluster on Node A and Node B.

I installed SQL 2014 on Node A and Add a node on Node B.

I gave the named instance instead of default.

I gave SQL Server network name as SQL14 and the instance name is SQLCluster14.

From the the advanced tab in configuration manager I can the virtual server name as SQL14.

Under SQL Server Services I can see the name as SQLCluster14.

But while trying to connect from SSMS I am able to connect when I use SQL14\SQLCluster14 only.

I can't able to connect using the virtual server name(SQL14) or SQLCluster14 either from Node A or from Node B

From Node B I can't able to connect either way but from Node A I can able to connect SQL14\SQLCluster14. When I move the resources from failover cluster manager I can able to connect from Node B using SQL14\SQLCluster14

From TCP/IP protocal I can see it is enabled all shared Memory, Named pipes & TCP\IP.

From TCP\IP Listen All : Yes but I didn't see any where TCPPort number

• It sounds like the windows firewall is probably blocking the ports for SQL Server. In control panel go to Windows Firewall and open UDP port 1434 for the SQL Browser service and also the port SQL Server is using. You can find the port SQL is using by looking in the SQL Server Log for the message "Server is listening on [ 'any' <ipv4> PortNumber]".

• ramana3327 (1/18/2016)

while trying to connect from SSMS I am able to connect when I use SQL14\SQLCluster14 only.

That is correct, the instance connection is made to

networkname\instancename

so

SQL14\SQLCluster14

ramana3327 (1/18/2016)

I can't able to connect using the virtual server name(SQL14) or SQLCluster14 either from Node A or from Node B

If you try to connect to just the networkname or the instancename it will fail.

Please ready my stairway to HA on this site starting at this link[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply