viewing History of a Stored Procedure

• Hey how do i get to see the History of a Stored Procedure ? Is there a system built in SP ??

• Hi Francis, to the best of my knowledge SQL doesn't do versioning (with the exception of DTS packages).

That's why change control is so important to get right.

Sorry I couldn't help more,

Mike

• Hey Mike, ok my problem is that i have 2 tables that were being used, for reporting, but these are no longer being used, i can't for the life of me find out were the information that in these 2 tables... i have a DTS if i view the versions on it by selecting Edit will it affect the latest DTs i do not want to change it just look at the DTS?

Thanks

F.

• To be honest i can't remember ever having to go back to an older DTS package, however, just to be safe you can open the latest version and use the save as functionality to save a new copy with a different name; that way you can look at an older version of the original without any risk of affecting the latest version.

I'm fairly sure that it would work properly without the above but in my book it's always better to be safe than sorry

• IF you have source safe type software and have controls built to check-in/out you may want to look there as well.

IF you don't may want to start thinking about it.

1 last option would be IF you have your tape backups you could (in theory) keep restoring older versions of the database (somewhere else or named differently) until you found the older version of the proc.

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Just to add that with SQL 2005 source control is built into the design (assuming that you have source safe/vault/etc).

If you're planning on upgrading in the near future then i'd save your money, if not then it's definately worth while investigating things like DBGhost (and a few others).

• Another sugestion is to do a backup scheme for sysobjects with a bcp for example, quick and easy.

Just remember that some sp's are split in several rows.

Regards.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply