View My Definition

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item View My Definition

• Could have been this or could have been that but we assume the other.... didn't like the question, but thanks anyway.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Good one, Andy. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Nice question, but I believe "not connected as sysadmin" is an equally correct answer though.

ps: no actual connections to a certain Grant who is always ranting? 😎

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I believe that the group name is not in the correct format i.e. [DOMAIN\GROUP] whether previously specified as a domain group ... and that would very probably cause the query to fail.

• Koen Verbeeck (3/7/2014)

Nice question, but I believe "not connected as sysadmin" is an equally correct answer though.

From BOL:

The grantor (or the principal specified with the AS option) must have either the permission itself with GRANT OPTION or a higher permission that implies the permission being granted. Members of the sysadmin fixed server role can grant any permission.

• free_mascot (3/6/2014)

Good one, Andy. Thanks.

+1

😉

• Carlo Romagnano (3/7/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (3/7/2014)

Nice question, but I believe "not connected as sysadmin" is an equally correct answer though.

From BOL:

The grantor (or the principal specified with the AS option) must have either the permission itself with GRANT OPTION or a higher permission that implies the permission being granted. Members of the sysadmin fixed server role can grant any permission.

Nothing in the question implicates Grant has the permission itself (it's a very logical assumption that he has, but an assumption nonetheless).

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Koen Verbeeck (3/7/2014)

Carlo Romagnano (3/7/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (3/7/2014)

From BOL:

Nothing in the question implicates Grant has the permission itself (it's a very logical assumption that he has, but an assumption nonetheless).

QOD contains -- "Mr. Grant is managing a SQL 2012 instance."

is this not sufficient to know that Grant has sys admin rights ?

• pmadhavapeddi22 (3/7/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (3/7/2014)

Carlo Romagnano (3/7/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (3/7/2014)

From BOL:

QOD contains -- "Mr. Grant is managing a SQL 2012 instance."

is this not sufficient to know that Grant has sys admin rights ?

Perhaps. Who knows?

Maybe the company has special admin logins with elevated privileges that admins can use if they need to make changes and Mr.Grant accidentally signed in using his regular account (with less privileges). It's all possible.

• Thanks Andy.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• If it was granting permission to an AD group where is the domain name? my answer was 'Wrong'

• I thought too much about the question and figured they could have been denied control access at one point in time.

• Had to guess, and got it right. Thanks for the question, but questions that are this subjective are deprecated in future versions of SQL Server. 😉

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply