View crashes SQL Studio

• Hi all,

I have a query which is working fine.  However, when I attempt to put it into a view SQL always crashes.

There is no error message when I run the view other than the crash window:  SSMS - SQL Server Management has stopped working.

However, if I try save the view, the error message I get is: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often and indication that other memory is corrupt.

SELECT MaxDate.LatestUDate, AAA_Tbl_P_M.EndDate, isnull((select 'T' where [LatestUDate]>=[EndDate]),'F')
    AS bIsAtOrPastEndDate, AAA_Tbl_P_MU.*
    FROM AAA_Tbl_P_M
    INNER JOIN ((SELECT P_ID, Max(UDate)
    AS LatestUDate
    FROM AAA_Tbl_P_MU
    GROUP BY P_ID)
    AS MaxDate
    LEFT JOIN AAA_Tbl_P_MU
    ON (MaxDate.LatestUDate = AAA_Tbl_P_MU.UDate)
    AND (MaxDate.P_ID = AAA_Tbl_P_MU.P_ID))
    ON AAA_Tbl_P_M.ID = MaxDate.P_ID
    WHERE AAA_Tbl_P_M.EndDate>Getdate() AND isnull((select 'T' where [LatestUDate]>=[EndDate]),'F')='F'

Why is my SQL studio always crashing when I try to make a view out of this?

And how can I resolve?

Cheers

Addendum: I have found a workable solution in creating the view via a query editor, rather than the designer.  Still, I'd rather like to know how to work with the tools without crashing.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  barry.nielson.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  barry.nielson.
  • Using the query editor is the correct way to do it. The view/query designer in SSMS is fairly useless. There are a lot of SQL constructs it does not support and it is apparently not able to cope with a query of the complexity you are feeding it. Overall I recommend against using the view/query designer.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply