view collation problem.

• Hi,

I don't undestand the behavior of SQL Server in the following situation:

I have made a view, this view is in a database. this database as the collation "Latin1_General_CI_AS"

When i select this view from other database (through query window) it gives me the folowing error:

"Cannot resolve collation conflict for replace operation"

This is a collation problem.

My other database(from where i'm calling the view) as the collation "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS".

Do you get collation problems when calling an object from other database that as diferente collation, if it has a replace? if yes, why?

I usually get collation conflit when i'm comparing a column from a database with a column from other database and the two character data columns have different collations.

I mean, when i compare two columns that have diferent collations, then i receive the error, but just to call an object from other database... (what am i comparing ?)

Do you Masters know why this happens?

Thank you.

THE CODE OF THE VIEW:

alter view teste43

as

select

a.NIF+isnull(filial_number,'') as NIF,a.COD_MET_TRIBUTARIO,a.NOME,a.STATUS,a.COD_PROVINCIA,

a.COD_REP_FISCAL,a.COD_MUNICIPIO, a.NIF_ANTIGO as RGC, replace(convert(varchar(10),a.dt_inicio ,120),'-','') DT_INICIO,b.COD_CAE

from contribuintes as a

left join singulares as b

on a.nif_antigo = b.nif_antigo

where

(a.status ='a' or a.status ='c') and a.nif is not null and a.nif_antigo is not null

and a.cod_rep_fiscal is not null and (a.cod_met_tributario ='tp1' or a.cod_met_tributario ='tp2')

• Hello,

i found this in BOL

REPLACE performs comparisons based on the collation of the input. To perform a comparison in a specified collation, you can use COLLATE to apply an explicit collation to the input.

Examples

The following example replaces the string cde in abcdefghi with xxx.

Copy Code

SELECT REPLACE('abcdefghicde','cde','xxx');

GO

Here is the result set.

Copy Code

------------

abxxxfghixxx

(1 row(s) affected)

The following example uses the COLLATE function.

Copy Code

SELECT REPLACE('Das ist ein Test' COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN,

'Test', 'desk' );

GO

i hope this might help you

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply