View all logins and users without being securityadmin

• Hello,

We are migrating to SQL 2014 and they have chosen to take away our production support team's sysadmin rights. We need to be able to SEE all the logins from the server level and the users from the database level. But NOT be able to add or change. Is this permission possible? We would like a user-defined server role that will allow this. We are in an active directory GROUP.  Right now all we can only see OUR group and the deprecated sa account.

• shelleybobelly - Monday, January 23, 2017 3:17 PM

Hello,

We are migrating to SQL 2014 and they have chosen to take away our production support team's sysadmin rights. We need to be able to SEE all the logins from the server level and the users from the database level. But NOT be able to add or change. Is this permission possible? We would like a user-defined server role that will allow this. We are in an active directory GROUP.  Right now all we can only see OUR group and the deprecated sa account.

you could grant the following

grant view any definition to login

grant view any database to login

However, questionable whether this is actually required

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I'd write a job to put this info into table you have access to. You can update it daily if needed. Perhaps you can build a proc WITH EXECUTE AS. I'll try to test that.

• I created a proc in a db, granted rights to a role, added a normal (non sysadmin/non secadmin) to the role, and this seemed to work. You'd have to modify to get user values from all dbs, but not that hard. I might make a proc or function to get users from a db, then loop that if needed.
    CREATE PROCEDURE GetLogins_NonSA
    WITH EXECUTE AS OWNER
    /*
    Description:

Changes:
    Date   Who   Notes
    ---------- ---   ---------------------------------------------------
    1/24/2017 PLATO\Steve Initial proc to get server logins
    */
    AS
    BEGIN
    SELECT name
      , principal_id
      , sid
      , type
      , type_desc
      , is_disabled
      , default_database_name
    FROM master.sys.server_principals

RETURN
    END
    GO

GRANT EXECUTE ON GetLogins_NonSA TO MigrationRole
    go
    ALTER ROLE MigrationRole ADD MEMBER JoeDBA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply