Very Slow Performance

• We have an Analysis Services 2000 with SP1 servicing 10 gigs of multi-partitioned cubes with shared dimensions and calculated cells. Windows 2000 so we can't get more than 2 gig RAM usage but we have 4 gigs on the system. The front end is ProClarity 4.0.

We also implemented cube level security with two roles. One with 10 members, the admin role, and the other with 40 members. Both Client mode. We plan to implement dimension level security with more roles.

The service starts up using close to 1.1 gig ram. Each user query takes about 200-300 megs. I've played with the level setting with no change to the start up ram usage. Orphaned queries kill the server also. No way to release ram usage once the query is orphaned.

The performance is unexpectedly slow. As an admin user, I enjoy faster service than a regular user which I don't understand, exactly. The server compains of "out of memory" error when ram usage gets close to 1.7 gigs then restarts. Users have to restart IE or restart the machine to get back into ProClarity and resume work. One day we experienced 10 server restarts. Not a good thing!!

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated!!!

• I was having some memory problems too but not exactly like the ones you are having. I had the SP2 installed and it resolved the problems. Hope this helps you...

Skip Gallagher

Quest Industries, Inc.

(501) 685-4546

Skip Gallagher
    Quest Industries, Inc.
    (479) 366-0789

• You could enable the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file this will allow the applicaiton to use up to 3GB RAM instead of 2. Not sure if it will solve the problem, but it will allow you to take advantage of the RAM in the server.

• How many dimensions are your users crossjoining? Can you post some sample MDX?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply