Version Control around SSAS Tabular?

• Hello,
    I've gotten TFS installed for SSIS, and SSAS on my server hosting SQL Server 2016. I was on the phone with MS while installing TFS for the SSRS (newly created instance) portion, when I learned that TFS only works with reports created from MD cubes. WHAT?! I have an empty newly created MD instance on the server, so we configured it for that.
    I had no VC what-so-ever, now with my Tabular instance and all it's cubes with Excel and PBI created dashboards and reports, the only thing TFS is good for is to manage VC around all my SSIS packages.
    Is this right, TFS only works around MD cubes? What is industry standard VC for reports created in VS deployed to SSRS?
    Many thanks,
    JPQ

• quinn.jay - Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:24 AM

Hello,
    I've gotten TFS installed for SSIS, and SSAS on my server hosting SQL Server 2016. I was on the phone with MS while installing TFS for the SSRS (newly created instance) portion, when I learned that TFS only works with reports created from MD cubes. WHAT?! I have an empty newly created MD instance on the server, so we configured it for that.
    I had no VC what-so-ever, now with my Tabular instance and all it's cubes with Excel and PBI created dashboards and reports, the only thing TFS is good for is to manage VC around all my SSIS packages.
    Is this right, TFS only works around MD cubes? What is industry standard VC for reports created in VS deployed to SSRS?
    Many thanks,
    JPQ

Somehow you have received some incorrect information about TFS.  You can use TFS to manage any files that you create using Visual Studio (and other editors as well but let's worry about SSAS/SSRS etc for now.  Any of the BI projects (SSIS, SSAS MD, SSAS TAB, SSRS, database) can be version controlled using TFS.  It has nothing to do with whether SSAS MD is using or not.

You do not VC the Tabular Instance - you version control the code that you deploy to it.

As for Excel and PBI, they are a little different but you should be able to add them to TFS if you want.  You may need to configure some stuff within TFS to make it easy to do but it is definitely an option to version control these and other file types.

• Update, and yes you are correct, I had bad info. Here is the deal, an MD instance is required for TFS for TFS needs, and can also be used to report from about TFS, and requires TFS's database to be MD. That is what was being misinterpreted to me, as I can only use TFS to VC report code off an MD instance. Issue cleared up. And thanks for the excellent reply.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply