Verify integrity of SQL Server startup files?

• Is there a way to verify the integrity of SQL Server service startup files at startup? Make sure no modification (hacks) or other malicious changes or replacements to these files if the DBA does not manually and periodically check the integrity of the SQL Server services startup files.

Thanks,

Zee - Atlanta

General Dynamics

SS DBA

• I really don't understand your question - sorry.

Why would someone have access to the server and be able to change/modify SQL Server files? The files SQL Server needs to startup are locked while SQL Server is running - so, the only time they would be available is when SQL Server is down. SQL Server would only be down when explicitly shut down.

Can you explain what issues you are trying to prevent?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• ZeeAtl (1/13/2010)

Is there a way to verify the integrity of SQL Server service startup files at startup? Make sure no modification (hacks) or other malicious changes or replacements to these files if the DBA does not manually and periodically check the integrity of the SQL Server services startup files.

Thanks,

Zee - Atlanta

General Dynamics

SS DBA

The fact that your SQL Server is running fine itself verifies the fact that there is nothing wrong with your service startup files. I assume, SQL Server itself proactively checks for these things and I am against any manual intervention to these files by a DBA as long as everything is fine and you have Firewalls enabled on your server.

Is there any specific issue you are facing? If so, we all would like to know...

Thanks...

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• I had to do a Security audit (DIACAP/DISA) as I'm working at active Army D.o.D. facility. One of the unmitigated findings was do we have monitoring of the SQL Server executable and configuration files. I realize the latter is bogus as SQL Server has no such thing as a config file. The former, I'm not sure how I would monitor access to this other than through an Intrusion Detection System or some other Network sniffer or security monitoring inside the firewall.

Agreed with your reply. I'm an accidental DBA thrown into a process which at times seems arbitrary (have to note why I would NOT be monitoring these files in a System Security Plan).

Thanks for your input.

FZ

SS DBA

General Dynamics - Atlanta, GA

• Permissions for anyone accessing these files directly for modification would be handled at the file system level. There is no audit. The system security plan should document the folder level permissions required to access the SQL Server bin folder. Set the permissions to allow only for the SQL Server serivce account and the local admin group. If someone has hacked the permissions to either of these accounts, your whole DB system is compromised, not just the executables.

This is one of those where you just say, "No, there is no process in place and their is no need for a process to monitor that as it is handled by file system security and permissions assignment".

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Thanks John, this will help me document the System Security Plan on this issue.

Zee - Atlanta, GA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply