Vendor Value

• A bit off topic, but an example of "IP" run amok... when other industries start copying the software biz..

http://www.doublex.com/section/health-science/enough-patenting-breast-cancer-gene

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• How can you sell software without maintenance? I have never seen any software sold to anyone that did not need maintenance. Maybe I must clarify a bit more. By software I mean the applications we develop for people/companies to do their business. Yes, I believe that there are vendors that are not always quite so honest with their maintenance charges but what goes around will eventually come around.

We have a couple of clients that use our systems that we developed and what they like most about our service that we render is the fact that the applications can evolve. In other words, they can always ask for new add-ons. They also know that if maintenance is required and there was a bug we won't charge them. They only pay if there was something lacking in their specifications and now something is not working as it should. We also do not just always accept their specifications but make recommendations where we think it can help them.

Talking about leasing or buying, we have some clients that bought their software and others that lease and we always make sure that our agreements with them is easily understandable for them and for us. Honesty goes a long way and your client will soon enough know whether you are honest or not. Unfortunately they sometimes find that out too late.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• jay holovacs (5/18/2009)

A bit off topic, but an example of "IP" run amok... when other industries start copying the software biz..

http://www.doublex.com/section/health-science/enough-patenting-breast-cancer-gene%5B/quote%5D

I read the article and found it very interesting. Is it not true that especially the medical industry is guilty of doing this? I mean, they are also just about the most expensive industry.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• jay holovacs (5/18/2009)

A bit off topic, but an example of "IP" run amok... when other industries start copying the software biz..

http://www.doublex.com/section/health-science/enough-patenting-breast-cancer-gene%5B/quote%5D

This is a very serious problem with the US patent office issuing patents without asking experts in the technical fields, IBM was last year issued patent for multi lingual database, my question was why is something people like me do in our sleep patentable? Patent protects unique creations what is unique about a database that can be used to store most languages. The IBM's version may be language agnostic by default give me thirty minutes I can give you that in SQL Server.

http://www.freshpatents.com/Techniques-for-processing-data-from-a-multilingual-database-dt20081009ptan20080249998.php

😉

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I don't buy maintenance for lots of software. I don't have it for Word, for Snagit or Camtasia. I didn't get it for my video software.

When we purchased Goldmine years ago we got a year of maintenance, but then dropped it. Same for Log Explorer.

If you're new to the product, it might make sense. If you've used it before, do you still need it? I'm not sure. I wouldn't buy it with SQL Server anymore.

• I have never had the need for SQL Server support call but I have called Oracle MetaLink, I have worked in places that pay for the Metalink account and I have worked in places without. All I can say is if Oracle is production that must run 24/7 you need the Metalink acount because the places that run Oracle without Metalink I have seen Oracle down for two weeks or more. Then there is the quality of the Oracle team I have met an Oracle DBA/Dev who wrote awful code because he said nobody told him cursors are not good for Oracle, I was not in that team so I did not say anything.

Employers get what they pay for.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply