Varchar(Max) storage

• Dear Experts,
    Have a confusion regards to the storage capacity of varchar(max). My question is , when 8000 bytes (the whole page) is what's reserved by
    SQL server for varchar(max) declaration , how does the 2 GB content is stored in one 8KB page ? and how does 8000 characters equal 2 GB of storage? thank u in advance.

Best Regards...Arsh

• it includes a pointer to an out of row space where it is stored. That said, it is sometimes in row, especially when it is small enough to fit in row.

• Arsh - Monday, March 18, 2019 7:54 AM

Dear Experts,
    Have a confusion regards to the storage capacity of varchar(max). My question is , when 8000 bytes (the whole page) is what's reserved by
    SQL server for varchar(max) declaration , how does the 2 GB content is stored in one 8KB page ? and how does 8000 characters equal 2 GB of storage? thank u in advance.

Best Regards...Arsh

The large entries are stored in ROW_OVERFLOW_DATA allocation units, the SQL Server dynamically manages this and adds a pointer to the originating page.
    😎

More information here, Pages and Extents Architecture Guide

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, March 18, 2019 8:20 AM

Arsh - Monday, March 18, 2019 7:54 AM

Dear Experts,

Best Regards...Arsh

The large entries are stored in ROW_OVERFLOW_DATA allocation units, the SQL Server dynamically manages this and adds a pointer to the originating page.
    😎

To be totally accurate, LOBs are stored in "LOB_DATA", not "ROW_OVERFLOW_DATA" (although both are handled in mostly the same way).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Monday, March 18, 2019 8:38 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, March 18, 2019 8:20 AM

Arsh - Monday, March 18, 2019 7:54 AM

Dear Experts,

Best Regards...Arsh

😎

To be totally accurate, LOBs are stored in "LOB_DATA", not "ROW_OVERFLOW_DATA" (although both are handled in mostly the same way).

Thanks for the correction Jeff!
    😎

• Shirting gears a bit... very few people realize the change they made way back in 2005 concerning LOBs...

Prior to 2005, the default was to store LOB data "out of row" no matter what size it happened to be.  In 2005, the default is to store LOB data "in-row", which is a bit of a misnomer.  It only stores LOB data "in-row" (which actually means either the HEAP or Clustered Index) if it's < 8KB AND it fits in the row after all the other columns present have enough room.  Unfortunately, THAT HAS A DEVASTATING EFFECT ON PERFORMANCE OF NON-LOB QUERIES IF THEY NEED TO DO A SCAN AND THEY ALSO MAKE A TRAIN WRECK OF PAGE DENSITY BECAUSE OF SUPER SHORT "TRAPPED" ROWS.

I'm actually in the process of finishing a presentation ("Black Arts" Index Maintenance #3 - Defragged by Default) on the subject and how to fix the raft of problems than "In-Row" LOBs cause as well as how to prevent the "ExpAnsive" updates they can cause which prevents a so-called "Append Only" Clustered Index from becoming "Defragmented by Default".

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Monday, March 18, 2019 10:22 AM

Shirting gears a bit...

Shirting... really :crazy:
    If you're shirting instead of shifting, we're gonna have words my ol' friend 😛

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:04 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, March 18, 2019 10:22 AM

Shirting gears a bit...

Heh... far better than "skirting". :D:D:D

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:34 AM

David Burrows - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:04 AM

Shirting gears a bit...

I … must … add … to … this!
    If you meant you're shitting gears and you drive a non U.S. car I would have a chat with the gearbox manufacturer. :doze: 😎

Next up in U.S. sold cars: Warning Plate - Do not under any circumstances take a dump on your gearbox while shifting gears!

• David Burrows - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:04 AM

Shirting gears a bit...

JAKG (Just Another Keyboard Gone)
    😎

shirting

/ˈʃəËtɪŋ/

noun

1. a material for making shirts, especially a fine cotton in plain colours or incorporating a traditional woven stripe.

"Oxford is shirting fabric with a lustrous, soft finish"

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 9:14 AM

Shirting gears a bit...

😎

shirting

/ˈʃəËtɪŋ/

noun

1. a material for making shirts, especially a fine cotton in plain colours or incorporating a traditional woven stripe.

Nah PBKAC :Whistling:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:25 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 9:14 AM

Shirting gears a bit...

😎

shirting

/ˈʃəËtɪŋ/

noun

Nah PBKAC :Whistling:

chapeau mon ami
    😎

• DinoRS - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:49 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 8:34 AM

Shirting gears a bit...

I … must … add … to … this!
    If you meant you're shitting gears and you drive a non U.S. car I would have a chat with the gearbox manufacturer. :doze: 😎

Next up in U.S. sold cars: Warning Plate - Do not under any circumstances take a dump on your gearbox while shifting gears!

I'm old.  It's amazing what passes. 😀  The fun part is, I don't usually remember what I ate until it passes. :D:D:D

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply