Value of sp_MSins etc

• Lately I have been testing various replication scenarios.  I would like to find out about any disadvantages apart from speed if the replication procedures are not implemented at the subscriber.  In other words I don't create a initial snapshot and I tick off the boxes in the commands tab for each published article.

All the articles I have read including KB Q299903 go on about how to create these procedures manually if no snapshot is applied, but nobody, to my knowledge, has discussed the alternative of using commands ( whatever it means) as an alternative, see MS's sparse explanation on form:

"When applying transactions at Subscibers, you can replace commands with stored procedures to improve performance and to perform custom actions."

If I don't need custom actions it seems a lot easier not to bother with creating these procedures manually and instead use whatever commands can do the same job.

Thanks,

Win

• I don't quite follow what your question is.  I use the default MS SPs during replication, but I can imagine that if I wanted some custom tasks to run instead of the default INS, UPD & DLT, then I can replace them with my own SPs. 

• Essentially I want to set up replication without initial snapshot synchronisation and I want to avoid having to create these replication sps at all using some MS supplied procedures. SQL Svr gives me the option as default or for each individual article to select replication via sps or replication via commands (MS does not explain what the second option means).

Do I really have to use these sps. I can set up an article as not to use sp_MSins..., sp_MSupd... and sp_MSdel... when I untick the boxes. What are the disadvantages if I choose not to use the sps?

Thanks

Win

• If you don't want a snapshot applied at the subscriber, just choose "schema & data already exist".  The Stored procs are used afterwards to apply published transactions to the subscriber.  Don't you want those ?

• If you do not apply the initial snapshot, then these sps are not created at the subscriber.  Every time a transaction at the publisher is replicated to the subscriber you'll get an error message that these sps don't exist.

Win

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply