Value comparison

• I have a query that's returning prescription status.  Here's the deal.  If a patient has 3 different prescriptions and all 3 are Discontinued...I want all 3 scripts to show.

But lets say a patient has 3 scripts (2 discontinued, 1 active)...I want to look at the date to pull what the most recent is. 

In a nutshell....if all statuses are the same---pull the Rx.  If the statuses are different...pull the most recent.

• cory.bullard76 - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:23 PM

I have a query that's returning prescription status.  Here's the deal.  If a patient has 3 different prescriptions and all 3 are Discontinued...I want all 3 scripts to show.

But lets say a patient has 3 scripts (2 discontinued, 1 active)...I want to look at the date to pull what the most recent is. 

In a nutshell....if all statuses are the same---pull the Rx.  If the statuses are different...pull the most recent.

You could use ROW_NUMBER  to identify the most recent and windowing functions to filter the data. You want to return where min_script_value = max_script_value OR row_num_col = 1.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thanks!  And that would return all values if the statuses are the same?

• cory.bullard76 - Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:23 PM

I have a query that's returning prescription status.  Here's the deal.  If a patient has 3 different prescriptions and all 3 are Discontinued...I want all 3 scripts to show.

And what do you want to do if 1 is discontinued and 2 are active?  Wouldn't you want to return both of the active ones?  If so, you'll want to use RANK() instead of ROW_NUMBER().

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Thanks Drew....if the statuses are different I want to return the most recent Rx (based on DoseStartDate).  If all the statuses are the same I want to return all the Rxs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply