Validating meta data of xls file

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Phil... where do you hail from?  I ask because I'm giving the "Automating "Excel Hell"" presentation at the Cleveland SQL Saturday on the 1st of February 2020 and would love to meet you in person.  It would also be my pleasure to meet anyone else reading this thread whether or not they've posted on it.

I'd like that. Currently working in Grand Cayman (it's a hard life), but I'll see whether my boss is open to it.

Just had a check of travel logistics ... the journey is a long one, so this is not going to work out, I'm afraid.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Phil Parkin wrote:

Phil... where do you hail from?  I ask because I'm giving the "Automating "Excel Hell"" presentation at the Cleveland SQL Saturday on the 1st of February 2020 and would love to meet you in person.  It would also be my pleasure to meet anyone else reading this thread whether or not they've posted on it.

I'd like that. Currently working in Grand Cayman (it's a hard life), but I'll see whether my boss is open to it.

Just had a check of travel logistics ... the journey is a long one, so this is not going to work out, I'm afraid.

It's one of those colder days here in S.E. Michigan.  I should dig out my old PADI card and come see you, instead! 😀  Can't get the time off to make it worthwhile though.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

David Burrows wrote:

Phil Parkin wrote:

Unzipping files is natively available in .NET, so there should be no need to install additional software.

See here for more info.

I was thinking the same and there are XML/JSON additions as well.

Heh... there are two things I like about JSON... I don't use it but I hate it less than XML when others do. 😀

I have to work more now with Web APIs so with JSON as well :-/

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Getting kind of back on topic, has anyone tried the demo I provided?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Getting kind of back on topic, has anyone tried the demo I provided?

Not yet. I'm not back in the office until Monday 🙂

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I have, brilliant work my friend

😎

But as I'm ACE'phobic and I do not trust the black-box logic of that kinds of drivers, I'll do it in proper SQL 😉

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

😎

But as I'm ACE'phobic and I do not trust the black-box logic of that kinds of drivers, I'll do it in proper SQL 😉

Thanks for the feedback Eirikur.  The same logic would world on an Excel spreadsheet that was exported to a TSV or CSV.  I just used the ACE drivers to skip that step.

You also said you'll "do it in proper SQL".  Since the only part of my code that involved the ACE drivers was the initial import and so the only thing keeping it from qualifying as "proper SQL" (which I agree with, BTW), what would you personally use for the original import of the spreadsheet data?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

😎

Thanks for the feedback Eirikur.  The same logic would world on an Excel spreadsheet that was exported to a TSV or CSV.  I just used the ACE drivers to skip that step.

You also said you'll "do it in proper SQL".  Since the only part of my code that involved the ACE drivers was the initial import and so the only thing keeping it from qualifying as "proper SQL" (which I agree with, BTW), what would you personally use for the original import of the spreadsheet data?

I import the spreadsheet by unzipping the files and read / load the content directly. The nice thing is that this method works for all the 20+ different OOXML spreadsheet programs regardless of the OS used on the originating system.

😎

• Hi Jeff, I've had some trouble getting your demo working on my home PC.

I installed 32- and 64- bit ACE drivers and then ran this:

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;  
    RECONFIGURE;
    GO
    sp_configure 'Ad Hoc Distributed Queries', 1;
    RECONFIGURE;
    GO

After that, I created the stored proc in a test database and moved the demo spreadsheets into a local folder.

When I try to run the first import, I get the following error:

Msg 50000, Level 16, State 1, Procedure dbo.ImportSpreadsheet, Line 377 [Batch Start Line 0]
    ERROR: [dbo].[ImportSpreadsheet]: [(7350:16:2) at [dbo].[ImportSpreadsheet](2). Cannot get the column information from OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for linked server "(null)". (STEP 1: Import the Whole Spreadsheet)]
    Msg 208, Level 16, State 0, Line 2
    Invalid object name '##SSFinal'.

Any ideas? Permissions, perhaps?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• most likely permissions.

as this is on your PC first thing to try is to run SSMS as administrator - just to confirm that it is indeed permissions of your user

and have a read of the following links

https://visakhm.blogspot.com/2013/12/how-to-solve-microsoftaceoledb120-error.html

https://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/204081/how-do-i-add-read-write-permissions-on-a-directory-for-an-sql-server-account

you may also need to set this registry setting manually - there used to be a bug on SQL where sometimes it would show as set on the oledb provider window but registry key would not be present - adapt the key to your SQL instance detail (MSSQL10.SQLADV needs to change)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLADV\Providers\Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0]

"AllowInProcess"=dword:00000001

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Hi Jeff, I've had some trouble getting your demo working on my home PC.

I installed 32- and 64- bit ACE drivers and then ran this:

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;  
    RECONFIGURE;
    GO
    sp_configure 'Ad Hoc Distributed Queries', 1;
    RECONFIGURE;
    GO

After that, I created the stored proc in a test database and moved the demo spreadsheets into a local folder.

When I try to run the first import, I get the following error:

Msg 50000, Level 16, State 1, Procedure dbo.ImportSpreadsheet, Line 377 [Batch Start Line 0]
    ERROR: [dbo].[ImportSpreadsheet]: [(7350:16:2) at [dbo].[ImportSpreadsheet](2). Cannot get the column information from OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for linked server "(null)". (STEP 1: Import the Whole Spreadsheet)]
    Msg 208, Level 16, State 0, Line 2
    Invalid object name '##SSFinal'.

Any ideas? Permissions, perhaps?

I have to first ask the most obvious question... did you change the file path in the call to the stored procedure?  And, yes... it could be a permissions issue that SQL Server is having seeing the local directory.

It could be a couple of other settings and I'll try to get back to you tonight when I get home... although I do have a deployment at 10PM that I'm prepping for today.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Hi all, I've (finally!) tried to get this working again, this time from my office PC. Unfortunately, with exactly the same outcome.

The SQL Server service is running under the NT Service\MSSQLServer account. I have given this account read/write permissions to the local folder containing the demo spreadsheets.

I can't run ProcMon on my machine, because I am not a local admin, so tracking down exactly which other folder may be causing issues is not easy. Nor (obviously) can I run SSMS as admin.

I have changed the path in the EXEC dbo.ImportSpreadsheet to match the path which I've used on my PC. I think I need to try again from my home PC, where I am the admin.

• did you grant permissions (read/write/list) to everyone to the temp folder of the user that the instance is running under? - this as per my second link above.

For network accounts, folder is

:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp

and for local system account its :\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp

you need to give permissions to the user executing the proc to one of the folders above (and if it was a domain account it would be to the corresponding folder to that domain account)

you also need

exec master.dbo.sp_MSset_oledb_prop N'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' , N'AllowInProcess', 1;

exec master.dbo.sp_MSset_oledb_prop N'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' , N'DynamicParameters', 1;

• Thank you, Frederico. I'm at work again. Without local admin access, it seems I cannot adjust perms for those folders.

(I had already run the sp_MSset_oledb_prop commands though.)

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply