Valid and Invalid(unparsable) XML

• Everyone, we have an important legacy lob attribute that stores well formed and also malformed xml. From time to time we need data corrections to change nodes in the xml. The malformed xml have caused real problems. This is a legacy TEXT field, so a cast to XML thows a batch terminating excpetion.

the only solution I have found that works is a cursor with a try catch, and logging the bad ones to a table in the catch block. this is very slow, and unfortunately we have 100-200k wide xml files that number in the millions.

I have not had luck getting this code to run in any acceptable time. I understand this script is giong to be be slow, I would just love a set based way to deal with malformed xml. Pseduo code is below, anyone having a different approach would be much appreciated. My current attempt is a udf, but the xml parse error is still terminating the batch.

The app team has been punished for putting bad xml in the db in the first place.

DECLARE C CURSOR FAST_FORWARD FOR

SELECT xml, xmlkey

FROM PhyiscalTemp

OPEN C_POD_XML

FETCH NEXT FROM C_POD_XML INTO @xml,@xmlid

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

BEGIN TRY

SELECT CASE WHEN CAST(@strCurrItemConfig AS XML) IS NULL THEN 1 ELSE 1 END AS 'IsParsable' --error throws to catch

...xml processing

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

--deal with malformed xml

END CATCH

END

CLOSE C

DEALLOCATE C

• Please don't cross post. It just wastes people's time and fragments replies.

No replies to this thread please. Direct replies to: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic595934-338-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply