UTF-8 or UTF-16 Encoding used in SQL Server 2005

• Hi,

I've a client application (Cognos), having connectivity issues when connecting to SQL Server 2005.

We've received to check which SQL Server 2005 is having these properties UTF-8 or UTF16 encoding is used.

I am not sure, how to proceed in this and looking for your advice,

thanks for your time.

Zaheer

• There is no UTF8 in SQL Server but even 2000 will accept UFT8 from a client application because the .NET FCL(framework class library) Char is UTF16 by default but developers always change it to UTF8.  SQL Server from 7.0 uses UCS-2 which is close to UTF16 but they are not the same.  To get UTF16 use Nvarchar/Nchar above 150 that takes your SQL Server Char/Varchar to the same range with the .NET Char.   It is one of the changes coming in SQL Server 2008 an Nvarchar will be the same with the .NET Char by default.  Remember to also use the correct collation for the language you need.  Post again if you still need help.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Hi Peddie,

Thanks for your response and the clarification on UTF-8 and UTF-16.

The issue which i was encountered was not with SQL Server, it was a problem with Cognos.

Cognos is not Cluster aware for Named Instance of SQL Server 2005, and hence we had the connectivity issue and wanted to get the details for UTF-8 and UTF-16.

With regards,

Zaheer

• An update, later we came to know that Congos is Cluster aware with SQL Server 2005 Named Instance...

Thanks

Zaheer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply