Using xp_smtp_sendmail (Some minor Issues)

• Hello Everyone

I have just managed to get xp_smtp_sendmail on my box, the set up is that I can use the SMTP server of my ISP, eg smtp.myISP.com. but when I try changing that so that I use the the webmail smtp server that comes with my website, I get all different sort of network errors, seems that It cant connect.

Sometimes, it says it cant find the server, other times it would say the sever I am trying to use requires authentication. Is there anyway in which I can use xp_smtp_sendmail without using my ISP smpt server, as that seems to be the only way to get it to work.

Also in a cooperate environment, how would xp_smtp_sendmail be used. If for example, we don’t want to install Outlook MAPI profiles on all 20 production servers ?

I have also looked at SQL dev’s version which is more user friendly, I still cant get it to work. See website http://www.sqldev.net./dts/SMTPTask.htm

It does authenticate, but only without a username/password.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kindest Regards,

John Burchel (Trainee Developer)

• I'm sure not the expert on this, but I believe you need not install any mapi profiles; you are using smtp instead. It worked in our Exchange environment when supplied the @server parameter with a four-part, fully qualified server name, such as @server = 'myExchangeServer.myWindowsDomain.company.com'. We initially got the 'unable to relay' message, like: Server response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for MyFriend@HisDomain.com

but the sysadmin fixed that on the Exchange end, but I dont know how.

• Than for your reply, the situation in my own case is that I haven't  got exchange server. but instead i have got around 3 email provideds (pop/smtp).

I only got to notice that the only smtp account that works with xp_smtp_sendmail (withou tany form of authenticaton) is my ISP email account. Apparently, there is a new GUI version of the XP, http://www.sqldev.net

But I cant get this to work on the server

Kindest Regards,

John Burchel (Trainee Developer)

• Hi, can you be more specific, I have the same problem. Which is this new XP that doesn't require autentication?

Thanks,

• Hi,

The smtp procedure indeed has a variable called @server. This is what is used to define the email server. In our case it is simply the name of the server.

The email server must be configured to allow relaying from a particular domain/location.

Within a corporate environment this is fine as you can lock down relaying with the exchange box.

If you are trying to relay through your ISPs exchange this might be a problem.

Other than that it is fairly straightforward.

I use this in our office and it works great as we have the restrictions in place on our servers.

HTH

Graeme

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply