Using variables in multiple packages

• I have a SSIS Solution built in Visual Studio Community 2019 using SSDT. The solution contains about 15 packages. I am using 5 variables (created in the first package) that I would like to use in all of the other packages. Is there a way to make a variable usable in other packages within the same solution?

• No. Only parameters can be shared, and only within a project (not across a solution).

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Okay, thanks.

• Just to elaborate, if you set up the other packages to run within a master package, you can then pass the variables that way.  If you're using SQL Server 2012 or higher, it's easy to do.  I pass many variables that have been determined by the master package to the child packages.  The master child package setup is considered a best practice approach.

• RonKyle wrote:

Just to elaborate, if you set up the other packages to run within a master package, you can then pass the variables that way.  If you're using SQL Server 2012 or higher, it's easy to do.  I pass many variables that have been determined by the master package to the child packages.  The master child package setup is considered a best practice approach.

You can pass (master) variables to (child) parameters, but you cannot pass variables to variables.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Agreed.  Thanks for clarifying.  My use of the terminology was imprecise.  I'll correct the answer later.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply