Using TOP with ROW_NUMBER

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using TOP with ROW_NUMBER

• I really should read these more closely. I may even get some right.

----------------------------------------------------
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
    Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
    Author of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd Edition
    Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Well done!

• Is this one is scoring properly?  The Explanation says that Query #2 won't run and Query #1 is the answer.  However, my choice of #1 was scored as incorrect and #2 was listed as the answer.

• I think there is a typo in the answer as it describes query number 2 in the answer but mentions a WHERE clause which only exists in Query number 3.  It mentions Query number 1 and mentions it uses a CTE, which is used in Query number 2.

The correct answer is query 2; the answer just incorrectly mentions query 2 as not running instead of query 3 as not running and that query 1 is the answer when query 2 is the answer.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!

• Sorry, typo in the explanation. Query #2 is the answer and it is scoring properly. I updated the explanation. Query#1 -- wrong results. Query #3 won't run.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply