Using table-variables in dynamic sql

• I'm trying to write a stored proc that allows me to get some data from a linked server. If I write the following code, the procedure creates successfully:

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[sprocDealSelectDtlItem]
      @dealid in
      @dealerid smallint,
      @stocknum int

AS

DECLARE

@sql

nvarchar(4000),

@paramlist

nvarchar(4000)

-- Construct the main sql statement

SELECT @sql = 'INSERT INTO @mytable SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY(MBZODBC, ''SELECT

vs.StockbookNumber,
            vs.VehicleDescriptio001
          FROM
          {oj VS_15_UsedVehicleStock vs
          LEFT OUTER JOIN GB_00_UserDetails u ON (vs.SalesExecutive001 = u.UserID)}
          WHERE
          vs.StockbookNumber = @stocknum'')'

DECLARE @mytable table (

StockbookNumber

int PRIMARY KEY,

VehicleDescriptio001

nvarchar(50))

EXEC (@sql)

When I try to run this sproc with the following:

EXEC

sprocDealSelectDtlItem @dealId=1, @dealerId=30, @stocknum=500001

I get the following error:

Msg 1087, Level 15, State 2, Line 1
    Must declare the table variable "@mytable".

Anybody know how to pass a table variable to dynamic sql? I tried using a @paramlist with sp_executesql but I still got the same undeclared variable error, but while trying to create the stored procedure and referring this time to the parameter to sp_executesql. Is there another way to do this? I've wasted a day fiddling with the syntax to try to get this to work. Please somebody help me!

• Execute statements run under a different context, and table variables are not shared. You could try using a temporary table.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Also see http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=149&messageid=393025

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Why does this need to be dynamic SQL?  I don't see anything in your code that would require dynamic SQL to accomplish.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John, thanks for your reply. I've simplified the query significantly to focus on the part that's causing the error. Both the linked server and the main table (the vs alias) are dynamically added to the query in my full version. I've printed out the SQL statement just before execution and using it statically (i.e. not dynamically) it works fine.

• Thanks, Andras. Using temporary table seems to work OK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply