Using sum function

• Hi, I need to sum up a customers total purchases, the trick is I need to display customers who have not purchased a certain product so use the where clause, this then sums up the products selected and leaves out some SELECT Customer_Number, SUM(Price) As TOTAL FROM CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES WHERE Product_ID IN(223) AND Product_ID NOT IN(224, 225) GROUP BY Customer_Number

This returns Customer_Number 23 with a total of 90, but he has another product purchase, 227, how do I get my query to add that Product_ID to the sum only?

• I'm not 100% sure what you want as you've not really posted enough information

I've had a guess anyway is this what you are after?

SELECT

Customer_Number

,SUM(Price) As TOTAL

FROM

CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES

WHERE

Product_ID IN(223,227)

AND Product_ID NOT IN(224, 225)

GROUP BY

Customer_Number

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• soulchyld21 (2/9/2012)

Hi, I need to sum up a customers total purchases, the trick is I need to display customers who have not purchased a certain product so use the where clause, this then sums up the products selected and leaves out some SELECT Customer_Number, SUM(Price) As TOTAL FROM CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES WHERE Product_ID IN(223) AND Product_ID NOT IN(224, 225) GROUP BY Customer_Number

This returns Customer_Number 23 with a total of 90, but he has another product purchase, 227, how do I get my query to add that Product_ID to the sum only?

tHIS MAY WORK FOR YOU.

SELECT Customer_Number,Product_ID , SUM(Price) As TOTAL FROM CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES WHERE Product_ID IN(223,227) GROUP BY Customer_Number,Product_ID

• That was the first thing I thought of, problem with that is it also gives me the customers who have not bought the products in the IN() part of the where clause!

I have even tried

SELECT Customer_Number, SUM (Price) As TOTAL FROM Customer_Purchases

WHERE Product_Number IN(SELECT Product_Number)

AND Product_Number IN ('1','2')

AND Product_Number NOT IN('3')

Also doesn't work, it limits the total SUM() to prod 1 and 2

• ignore the syntax above, I did include the FROM in the subquery

• Still not 100% sure what your after but if I have understood correctly you only want to SUM the customers who have purchased products 223,227 and no others if so this will achieve it - depending on the size of your data there are more efficient ways of achieving the same result:

SELECT

Customer_Number

,SUM(Price) As TOTAL

FROM

CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES

WHERE

Product_ID IN(223,227)

AND Customer_Number NOT IN

(SELECT

Customer_Number

FROM

CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES

WHERE

Product_ID NOT IN (223,227)

)

GROUP BY

Customer_Number

==========================================================================================================================
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. Mitch Ratcliffe

• I am trying to say give me all customer numbers and their total purchases SUM() for those customers who have bought product b and any other products besides c and d, so if they have bought a, id like to have that data too!

• This will SUM all products for the customers who have not bought C and D - Hope it helps

SELECT

Customer_Number

,SUM(Price) As TOTAL

FROM

CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES

WHERE

Customer_Number NOT IN

(SELECT

Customer_Number

FROM

CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES

WHERE

Product_ID IN ('C','D') --Replace with the associated ID's

)

GROUP BY

Customer_Number

• See if this helps

SELECT Customer_Number,

SUM(Price) As TOTAL,

COUNT(CASE WHEN Product_ID IN (223) THEN Product_ID END) AS CountOf223Bought,

COUNT(CASE WHEN Product_ID IN(224,225) THEN Product_ID END) AS CountOf224or225Bought

FROM CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES

GROUP BY Customer_Number

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • @AndyHyslop Thanks that is almost what I am after, customers who have not bought products b and c however I only want results from these customers (who haven't bought b and c) who have bought product a, say products b and c compliment product a and Id like to sell these people products b or c, however I'd also like to be able to see how much the customers I am targeting have spent, even on say product z, sorry I should have explicitly stated what I am trying to achieve overall!:-)

• So if I understand correctly:

SELECT

Customer_Number

,Product_ID

,SUM(Price) As TOTAL

FROM

CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES

WHERE

Product_ID = 'A'

(SELECT

Customer_Number

FROM

CUSTOMER_PURCAHSES

WHERE

)

GROUP BY

Customer_Number

,Product_ID

• Actually think I may have misunderstood this should work better, its not very pretty but it gets the job done I suppose:

-- Build Test Data

DECLARE @PRODA AS TABLE

(

Customer_Number int

,Product_ID CHAR (1)

,Price MONEY

)

INSERT INTO @PRODA

VALUES(1,'A',100),

(1,'B',100),

(1,'A',100),

(1,'B',100),

(2,'B',100),

(3,'C',100),

(4,'D',100)

;

-- Create CTE for All Products

WITH ALLPRODS

AS

(

SELECT

Customer_Number

,Product_ID --Uncomment if you want to see the product breakdown

,SUM(Price) As ProductTotal

FROM

@PRODA

GROUP BY

Customer_Number

,Product_ID

),

-- Create CTE for Product A WHERE not in C or D

PRODA

AS

(

SELECT

Customer_Number

,Product_ID

,SUM(Price) As TotalANotinCandD

FROM

@PRODA

WHERE

Product_ID = 'A'

(SELECT

Customer_Number

FROM

@PRODA

WHERE

)

GROUP BY

Customer_Number

,Product_ID

)

--Join the two together to get results

SELECT

FROM ALLPRODS

LEFT JOIN PRODA ON ALLPRODS.Customer_Number = PRODA.Customer_Number AND ALLPRODS.Product_ID = PRODA.Product_ID

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply