Using SSIS

• psc032802 (12/3/2014)

I am not a DBA. Not a developer either. More of an end user of the data typically analyzing it.

I'm mostly interested in the data profile task in order to find out more about the data itself. I do not care about its etl capabilities, error logging, real time monitoring, etc. I just want to be able to run the data profile task so I can get my hands on the information it produces.

Brandie Tarvin (12/2/2014)

psc032802 (12/2/2014)

if the packages are to be run against a single database/server, then it would be best to install ssis on that same machine, correct?

then bids/ssis needs to be installed locally on the computers of people wanting to trigger the packages. in my case, the some of the tasks.

I think we need to take a step back and start from the beginning.

Who built your SQL Server system? What is your position / job title? How much experience do you have with SQL Server?

There are few things you can do.

1) Ask a DBA to create a package for you with the data profiler task in it and set it up to run on a schedule.

2) Ask to have the SQL Server client tools installed on your machine (including BIDS) and create the package yourself. If you have SSIS installed on your local machine, then (depending on your security level) you may or may not be able to run the package straight from BIDS and get your results on your desktop.

3) Ask to have the SQL Server client tools installed on your machine (including BIDS) and create the package yourself. Ask a DBA to push the package up to the server that has SSIS installed (it does NOT have to be the database server) and create a job to run the package for you.

There are many options here. I recommend reading the basics of SSIS from Books Online. If that doesn't answer your questions, then please let us know what other questions you have.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• jliu 81028 (12/3/2014)

thanks for replying me again. if I ask my dba to install BIDS on machine, what do you think he'll be concerned about? security? my skill/knowledge of SSIS?

I have no idea. I'm not your DBA and I don't know his opinions on these subjects.

EDIT: If it were me and you were in my workplace. My first question would be "Why do you want it?" in an effort to ascertain what business reasons are behind the request. Licenses cost money. It may be cheaper if you could convince someone to part with an old SQL 2008 Developer Edition of SQL Server for installation (one they aren't using anymore, obviously).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Your number 3 option should work for me:

3) Ask to have the SQL Server client tools installed on your machine (including BIDS) and create the package yourself. Ask a DBA to push the package up to the server that has SSIS installed (it does NOT have to be the database server) and create a job to run the package for you.

thanks again.

• jliu 81028 (12/3/2014)

Your number 3 option should work for me:

thanks again.

Glad I could help.

• Thanks for the good info. If data profile tasks is all I need, then I ask the DBA to have it run on regular schedule. If they run the packages for me, do I need anything installed on my own computer? can I use the Data Profile Viewer to view what they generate?

Brandie Tarvin (12/3/2014)

psc032802 (12/3/2014)

I am not a DBA. Not a developer either. More of an end user of the data typically analyzing it.

I'm mostly interested in the data profile task in order to find out more about the data itself. I do not care about its etl capabilities, error logging, real time monitoring, etc. I just want to be able to run the data profile task so I can get my hands on the information it produces.

Brandie Tarvin (12/2/2014)

psc032802 (12/2/2014)

if the packages are to be run against a single database/server, then it would be best to install ssis on that same machine, correct?

then bids/ssis needs to be installed locally on the computers of people wanting to trigger the packages. in my case, the some of the tasks.

I think we need to take a step back and start from the beginning.

Who built your SQL Server system? What is your position / job title? How much experience do you have with SQL Server?

There are few things you can do.

1) Ask a DBA to create a package for you with the data profiler task in it and set it up to run on a schedule.

2) Ask to have the SQL Server client tools installed on your machine (including BIDS) and create the package yourself. If you have SSIS installed on your local machine, then (depending on your security level) you may or may not be able to run the package straight from BIDS and get your results on your desktop.

There are many options here. I recommend reading the basics of SSIS from Books Online. If that doesn't answer your questions, then please let us know what other questions you have.

• psc032802 (12/4/2014)

Thanks for the good info. If data profile tasks is all I need, then I ask the DBA to have it run on regular schedule. If they run the packages for me, do I need anything installed on my own computer? can I use the Data Profile Viewer to view what they generate?

Do you have Data Profile Viewer installed on your computer? Or, alternatively, do you have access to a box with a Data Profile Viewer installed?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb895313(v=sql.100).aspx

• Yes, I see the viewer installed on my computer.

I do not have much access overall. Just read access to one database and I cannot see what is installed on it.

Brandie Tarvin (12/5/2014)

psc032802 (12/4/2014)

Thanks for the good info. If data profile tasks is all I need, then I ask the DBA to have it run on regular schedule. If they run the packages for me, do I need anything installed on my own computer? can I use the Data Profile Viewer to view what they generate?

Do you have Data Profile Viewer installed on your computer? Or, alternatively, do you have access to a box with a Data Profile Viewer installed?

• psc032802 (12/5/2014)

Yes, I see the viewer installed on my computer.

I do not have much access overall. Just read access to one database and I cannot see what is installed on it.

Brandie Tarvin (12/5/2014)

psc032802 (12/4/2014)

It's a stand alone application. So long as the DBA team provides the properly formatted reports to you, then you only need them to create and run the package.

• The Data Profile Viewer is installed through the SQL Server installation , not something that you can download for free (as of yet). In the install wizard one would uncheck the unneeded/unwanted items. Just wanted to add this thread here.

----------------------------------------------------

• On every machine where you want to run an SSIS package, you need to install the Integration Services components, using the SQL Server media.

• jimmyjjohns08 (12/7/2014)

On every machine where you want to run an SSIS package, you need to install the Integration Services components, using the SQL Server media.

That's not what he is doing, though.

• Brandie Tarvin (12/9/2014)

jimmyjjohns08 (12/7/2014)

On every machine where you want to run an SSIS package, you need to install the Integration Services components, using the SQL Server media.

That's not what he is doing, though.

That one is spam, and it's a copy of my first reply on this thread. (before we knew what he is doing ;-))

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply