Using SQL Management Objects to create and restore SQL Databases.

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using SQL Management Objects to create and restore SQL Databases.

• Good article. Where can I get a list of all the objects, properties, and methods?

We recently installed a new drive on one of our SQL boxes. The boss was moving databases by detach, move file, reattach. I showed him a trick for moving files to new location using T-SQL in 4 lines (found it here). He got out a text editor and whipped up a script to do the rest. I was thinking about a "point-and-click" program to do the mundane sort of thing like that. Maybe these SMO objects could be the answer rather than my usual trick of writing Dot Net code that generates T-SQL statements and shoving them at the server.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Nice article ........

• - Nice intro to SMO for this purpose.

- Keep in mind, you have to inspect the .bak files content. They may contain more than one backup.

- You can even perform point in time restores using smo

If you add default location registry keys for your SQLInstance, you can even extract this info to automate your procedure.

-- ALZDBA

-- Add default Data- and LogFile locations

--

USE [master]

GO

Declare @DataPath NVarchar(2000)

Declare @LogPath NVarchar(2000)

EXEC xp_instance_regread N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'DefaultData', @DataPath OUTPUT

EXEC xp_instance_regread N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'DefaultLog', @LogPath OUTPUT

print @DataPath

print @LogPath

-- activate to install

If 0 = 1

begin

-- Adjust !!!

Select @DataPath = N'D:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data'-- Aanpassen !

, @LogPath = N'D:\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data'-- Aanpassen !

/* SQL2005 always use xp_instance_regwrite */

EXEC xp_instance_regwrite N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'DefaultData', REG_SZ, @DataPath

EXEC xp_instance_regwrite N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'DefaultLog', REG_SZ, @LogPath

end

/*

-- find default backup directory (elaborate to find datadirectory

-- activate cmdshell if disabled

EXEC sys.sp_configure N'show advanced options', N'1'

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

declare @CmdShellSettingBefore table (cfgname varchar(128), minimum varchar(128), maximum varchar(128), config_value varchar(128), runvalue varchar(128))

insert into @CmdShellSettingBefore

EXEC sys.sp_configure N'xp_cmdshell'

if exists(select * from @CmdShellSettingBefore where cfgname = 'xp_cmdshell' and runvalue = '0')

begin

EXEC sys.sp_configure N'xp_cmdshell', N'1'

end

-- Get Default-path

declare @DefaultBackupDirectory nvarchar(512)

exec master.dbo.xp_instance_regread N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer',N'BackupDirectory', @DefaultBackupDirectory OUTPUT

Print 'Default BackupDirectory for instance [' + @@servername + '] = ' + @DefaultBackupDirectory

-- disable cmdshell if it was originaly disabled

if exists(select * from @CmdShellSettingBefore where cfgname = 'xp_cmdshell' and runvalue = '0')

begin

EXEC sys.sp_configure N'xp_cmdshell', N'0'

end

*/

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply