Using split function for multivalue selection within stored procedure

• Hi there

I have a stored procedure that looks like this :

SELECT

J.Project Manager],

Case J.[Person Responsible] when '''' then ''Onbekend'' else J.[Person Responsible] end as Responsible,

TE.[Project No_],

J.Description,

J.Blocked AS ''Status'',

SUM(TE.Quantity) AS Aantal,

''RESOURCE'' AS Type,

''1. To be closed (LG)'' AS ''Kolom''

FROM dbo.[OPS$Time Entry] AS TE INNER JOIN

dbo.[OPS$Job] AS J ON TE.[Project No_] = J.No_

WHERE

TE.Closed = ''0''

and convert(varchar(10),TE.Date,103) <= convert(datetime,''' + convert(varchar(10),@dtUntil,103)+ ''',103)

and J.[Person Responsible] in (Select Value from dbo.Split(''' + @parRes + ''' ,'',''))

GROUP BY J.[Project Manager], J.[Person Responsible], TE.[Project No_], J.Description, J.Blocked

The split function looks like this :

ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[Split]

(

@List nvarchar(2000),

@SplitOn nvarchar(30)

)

RETURNS @RtnValue table

(

Id int identity(1,1),

Value nvarchar(100)

)

AS

BEGIN

While (Charindex(@SplitOn,@List)>0)

Begin

Insert Into @RtnValue (value)

Select

Value = ltrim(rtrim(Substring(@List,1,Charindex(@SplitOn,@List)-1)))

Set @List = Substring(@List,Charindex(@SplitOn,@List)+len(@SplitOn),len(@List))

End

Insert Into @RtnValue (Value)

Select Value = ltrim(rtrim(@List))

Return

END

But when I select multiple persons in my report it will only render one person.

What am I missing ?

Kind regards

JV

• There are several issue to be adressed:

1) it seems like the code snippet you posted is part of a dynamic SQL statement... (otherwise there's no reason to use two single quotes instead of one...)

2) The following WHERE clause is not SARGAable, leading to a table scan convert(varchar(10),TE.Date,103) <= convert(datetime,''' + convert(varchar(10),@dtUntil,103)+ ''',103)

Change the data type of @dtUntil to datetime holding the day without a specific time or use a character format like 'YYYYMMDD' and change the query to TE.Date <= @dtUntil.

3) The string split function you're using is not really of the category "best performing". Have a look at the last link in my signature for a better performing solution.

4) Finally, change the original query to use CROSS APPLY (as described in the aforementioned article) instead of WHERE IN(SELECT)

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• thx, i will take a look into it !

still have lots to learn ...

JV

• If you have any further question or if you get stuck, please post back and I'm confident we can help you.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply