Using sp_MSforeachdb

• Has anyone been able to use this to run other things besides DBCC functions? I have been trying to use sp_MSforeachdb for stored procedures that I have written but I can not get them to work. I get the message, 'database_frag' is not a recognized function name. Do I need to make the stored procedure a function instead?

Thanks,

Wayne Robinson

• Wayne,

I use it when I run bcps, and I have no problems with it. That's running it as a stored procedure.

quote:

Has anyone been able to use this to run other things besides DBCC functions? I have been trying to use sp_MSforeachdb for stored procedures that I have written but I can not get them to work. I get the message, 'database_frag' is not a recognized function name. Do I need to make the stored procedure a function instead?

Thanks,

Wayne Robinson

Patrick Birch

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Post your code Wayne, maybe we can help. I know it takes some juggling to get the stupid doubled tripled quadruped quotes right sometimes! I've used it to run selects against all my db's at once.

Andy

• What does your command look like? I think that is where I am having problems.

• sp_msforeachdb 'use ?;select db_name() as DBName, count(*) as ObjectCount from sysobjects'

Andy

• I will usually slap a print in there so that I can see what I am about to run and troubleshoot any formatting issues here. An example using Andy's submission would look like;

sp_msforeachdb @command1 = "print 'use ?;select db_name() as DBName, count(*) as ObjectCount from sysobjects'"

Helps me, hope it works for you as well.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Here is the text I am using run my stored procedure.

EXEC sp_MSforeachtable @command1="print '?' database_frag('?')"

• you could try it with an exec (look at sp_MSforeachtable to see what it generates).

But why use sp_MSforeachtable anyway, you will probably find it safer and easier to code yourself. I have always wondered why it was included.

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

• Sorry, I posted the wrong code. Here is what I use, sp_msforeachdb @command1="print '?' database_frag('?')". It says the command completes successfully but it doesn't write anything into my table. If I run the code by itself it works fine, but I have to select the database I want to use. I use the Use <database name> command when run it.

• You can include use ? in your passed command.

Andy

• You can always simulate a use database command by putting the command in a string and executing via sp_executesql

i.e.

use dbname

exec sp...

should be the same as

exec dbname..sp_executesql 'exec sp...'

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply