using powerpivot to join a SQL Database query to a table defined in a PowerPivot Excel workspace?

• Scenario:

I have a working sql query based excel report AND I have new data that I need to bring into the query which resides exclusively on an excel spreadsheet. I cannot (due to permission restrictions) create a new table in SQL Server and I can't store the excel datasource on the same server as the SQL Server instance (therefore, linked server option isn't viable) and I do not have bulkload permissions on SQL server so can't bulkload date from .csv file and I do not have permissions to reconfigure the instance for ad hoc queries (therefore Select * from OPENDATASOURCE is also not viable).

Does anyone know if it is possible for a query based excel report to join on a table defined exclusively in PowerPivot Excel workspace?

--Quote me

• Hi,

have you considered a Integration Solution(SSIS) wherein the excel file would act as a source and you can later introduce a MERGE transformation to join data as required.

Raunak J

• Yes, I did think of SSIS solution however I ended up converting the Excel spreadsheet into a .csv file and using Microsoft Query to import it as a table. I have now created relationships between this imported table and my existing query (also a table) and generated a report successfully based on defined relationship.

My next problem is related...while this report renders and slices well on my local harddrive, it doesn't once it's uploaded to SharePoint site. If I click on a slicer button I get:

Unable to refresh data for a data connection in the workbook. Try again or contact your system administrator. The following connections failed to refresh: PowerPivot Data

Prior to joining my query table to the table based on imported .csv file, I was able to slice the report just fine.

Doesn't the imported table get uploaded to Sharepoint PowerPivot Gallery along with the query definition?

--Quote me

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply