Using Power View in SQL Server Enterprise 2012

• Hi all,

I understand that PowerView forms part of the Enterprise edition of SQL Server 2012, which I just installed on my local machine. As I am very interested to test the BI capabilities (Reporting) of SQL Server 2012, I was looking for PowerView but can't seem to find it. Isn't it installed by default in SQL Server Enterprise 2012? Also, do I need to have Sharepoint 2010 also installed to be able to use PowerView?

Thanks for your help!

• hoolash (10/8/2013)

Hi all,

I understand that PowerView forms part of the Enterprise edition of SQL Server 2012, which I just installed on my local machine. As I am very interested to test the BI capabilities (Reporting) of SQL Server 2012, I was looking for PowerView but can't seem to find it. Isn't it installed by default in SQL Server Enterprise 2012? Also, do I need to have Sharepoint 2010 also installed to be able to use PowerView?

Thanks for your help!

Power View - with a space nowadays - is a report designer tool created (currently) with Silverlight. In the first version, you could only use it inside SharePoint 2010/2013 on a PowerPivot workbook or on a BISM connection to a SSAS tabular model.

However, now you can also design Power View in Excel 2013, if you have the Profession Plus edition.

Power View is also included in the stand-alone version of Excel 2013 (which is intended for personal use).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thank you Koen...but I'm still confused. I don't have Excel 2013. I'm currently using Excel 2010. Do you mean that I need to have Sharepoint installed?

• hoolash (10/8/2013)

Thank you Koen...but I'm still confused. I don't have Excel 2013. I'm currently using Excel 2010. Do you mean that I need to have Sharepoint installed?

Yes. And you need to integrate SQL Server 2012 SSRS into SharePoint.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply