Using POP3 for E-mail Integration

• We have a SQL server that has Outlook installed - we then use the xp_sendmail command to mail out various daily checks and warnings

This work fine currently as SQL runs as a Domain account that has access to an Exchange mailbox, and I've set up the mail profile pointing to our Exchange server

However we now have a requirement to move our server into a standalone workgroup outside of our domain - this is fine apart from the e-mail functionality

Experimenting with a test box I can set up a mail profile using POP3 under outlook that will allow xp_sendmail to work - however this only actually sends the e-mails out if the Outlook client is running at the same time - otherwise they seem to hang in limbo until the client starts up and I either do a Send/Recieve manually or schedule it to happen

Is there anything I'm doing wrong in setting up the profile? - I've just selected the standard options when setting it up and can't see anything obvious in the tabcards

Cheers

Bruce Monaghan

Senior SQL Analyst

IPG London

• Do you have an option to try out the same with an SMTP Mailing Service instead of the POP 3?

• Bruce,

If you are only sendng, then you will be talking SMTP. We use xp_smtp_sendmail (which is a 3rd party product) to send email from stored procs etc. You will need to have an SMTP server running - the existing Exchange server should be OK. The main problem with using SMTP only is that you can't use the built in notifications (afaik).

Steve

• But you can kick of a job on any alert, then use a couple handy tokens to get the same effect by including them in an e-mail message. Take a look at sp_add_jobstep in books online then look for the following tokens.

[A-ERR]

[A-SEV]

[A-MSG]

• I have a same situation, I am using my home pc for sending mail alerts, It is working fine without any problem, I have SQL Professional, win2k professional with Office Xp.

Check your settings on outlook and SQL Agent.

If you still see problems reply here I will provide further detail what to do.

Shamshad Ali.

• As our Exchanger server and our SQL server are running under different domains we set up the Exchange mailbox as POP3 and SMTP account in the MAPI profile connected via LAN.

The Exchange server is configured for POP3 and SMTP.

We can send and receive messages with xp_sendmail and xp_readmail without having Outlook running all the time.

Matthias

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply