Using OPENROWSET to import Excel

• Hello,

I have a requirement to upload excel files to SQL 2005 64-bit Enterprise Edition database. The excel file is going to have varying number of columns and hence i want to use a SELECT * INTO temptable....OPENROWSET function.

The scenario is the excel files are going to be dropped on the Application server and i am going to have to use UNC path in the OPENROWSET function to read the files.

Apparently there are few issues doing this, i am getting the error "The OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" has not been registered." I have read that this due to the 64-bit version of the DB Engine.

Are there any alternate ways of uploading excel file with varying columns to a SQL Server db using T-SQL?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Amol

Amol Naik

• You could use SSIS and read the schema of the excel file.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1674

Looks fairly complicated. I have't done it.

This quote looks important to note.

'You could also use a Script task to write ADO.NET code to insert the Excel data into a table. The Data Flow doesn't support a dynamic column list.'

Emily

• That's one of the things I don't like about the 64 bit version... no JET drivers.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply