Using master database as default login for application db sysadmin-level users?

• I have several applications with back-end databases on my SQL Server instance.

These are Windows auth logins (Win Svr domain accounts), not SQL Server logins.

Many are sysadmin level privileged. Several have master system database as

their login default database. This seems like a bad practice, but is how it was

setup prior to my arrival.

Shouldn't they be using the database that is attached to their application rather

than master as defaut login database?

If so I need to change it ASAP.

Thanks.

• That really depends upon how they are connecting to the system. If they are using SSMS, you might need to change their default database.

I personally don't think it is a big issue - because you cannot prevent them from changing to the master database if they want to. All changing the default database to a specific user database does is prevent someone from accidentally creating objects in the master database.

However, if you set their default database to DB1 - then DB1 is taken offline, detached, restoring, etc... they will not be able to connect at all. For those users that only access that database that would be the okay, but for those users that access multiple databases on that instance they are not going to be happy when they cannot connect.

So, again - I think it really depends on the usage of the system, the users accessing the system - how they are accessing the system and what they are doing once they do connect. For most people, they are going to connect through an application which is going to specify the database in the connection string - so the default database won't make any difference.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply