Using import wizard to append to existing table

• Hi there,

Is there a way to use the import wizard to append to an existing table? I can use the import wizard to bring tables in, but it always creates a new table. Is there a way to edit the dtsx file so that the imported table is appended to an another table?

• Absolutely, you just change the name of the table that it wants to import to. It usually crates its own, but you can select an existing table in the drop-down.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• You may also have to click Edit Mappings and choose one of the following....

Delete the existing data in the destination table and insert the new data OR

Append rows to the destination table

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• hello,

In my case, the option to append to a table was greyed out, so I allowed for a new table to be created.

I then used an insert select statement to append to the existing table, from the imported table.

INSERT INTO categories_products (idProduct, idCategory)

SELECT idProduct, idCategory

from catprod_table

WHERE 1=1

This worked fine as a solution.

• I guess I also have a question, why is the option to append to an existing table in the Import Wizard grayed out?

• webmaster 95860 (10/29/2014)

I guess I also have a question, why is the option to append to an existing table in the Import Wizard grayed out?

Where do you see this? As you can see in the screenshot, I can select an existing table just fine.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Select the destination table you want to append before you select Edit Mappings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply