Using ICE

• Steve's Editorial:

This isn't some new cooling system for your high speed computer.

Maybe it's urban legend, but if so I've seen it in quite a few newspapers around the country. It's a way to make it easy for emergency workers to determine who to contact from your cell phone. After all, everyone has one these days, don't they?

ICE is an acronym for In Case of Emergency, and apparently it's being used. If you were injured and could not respond to an emergency medical worker, police, fire, etc., they can look through your contacts for an ICE entry that corresponds to people they should contact. Your spouse, parent, child, someone that could speak for you or you would want to have notified.

I made an entry in my phone for "ICE - Spouse" and "ICE - Home" to give them a couple choices. I'd suggest you do the same. It certainly can't hurt, at least I can't think of a way it would, and it might come in handy some day.

And if it is urban legend, it's a good idea. Passing along that idea might even convince some rescue workers to try it, and perhaps save someone's life.

I have verified that this is, in fact, true (Verified by Snopes). I wouldn't have posted this but there are several caveats to this method of providing contact information (such as dead batteries) and also some rumors of cell phone viruses that cell phone charges related to ICE numbers. Thankfully, the rumors are false. The Snopes article mentions some good information provided by rescue workers on how to provide information in the event of an emergency so check it out.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply