Using GROUP BY and not really getting results i need

• i have a table with a number 8 digits long. It represents a date but not a date column. ie 20200715. The table also has an amount column that i need to sum.

SELECT col_date / 10000 AS col_yr, SUM(col_amt) AS Expr1

FROM TABLE1

WHERE (col_type = 'R')

GROUP BY col_date / 10000, col_amt

ORDER BY col_yr

i am getting

2015, 10.00

2015, 15.00

2016, 12.00

2016, 20.00

but i need to group the col_yr together and total up the col_amt to look like

2015, 25.00

2016, 32.00

and so on

• Try changing your GROUP BY:

GROUP BY col_date / 10000

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• ok that got it thank you. i was worried about aggregate errors i never tried that. So thank you very much.

• To add to what Phil is saying here, you only need to Group on the columns/expressions that aren't in an aggregate function. You are aggregating on Col_amt therefore it's very unlikely you need to Group on it.

GROUP BY will aggregate the results in each distinct group defined in the clause. You have col_date / 10000, col_amt in your GROUP BY, therefore each distinct set for col_date / 10000 and col_amt will be a group, and hence why you're getting the results you are.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply