Using dynamic sql, how can I rearrange columns

• NineIron - Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:16 AM

Sorry. I copied, pasted and ran your code. This error popped up.

I ran the query inside the CTE like this................

SELECT

col.[name]

--LEFT([col].[name],PATINDEX('%[0-9]%',[col].[name]) - 1),

--CAST(RIGHT([col].[name], LEN([col].[name]) - (PATINDEX('%[0-9]%',[col].[name]) - 1)) AS INT)

FROM [tempdb].[sys].[tables] AS [tab]

INNER JOIN [tempdb].[sys].[columns] AS [col]

ON [col].[object_id] = [tab].[object_id]

WHERE [tab].[name] LIKE '#T%'

AND ([col].[name] LIKE 'diag%' OR [col].[name] LIKE 'poa%')

and got ................
    Looks like an extra poa and maybe that's why it choked on coverting something to an int?
    name
    diag1
    diag2
    diag3
    diag4
    diag5
    poa1
    poa2
    poa3
    poa4
    poa5
    poa

Do you have a column named poa with no numeric value appended?  The code I wrote based on your original post works on multiple machines with no problem.

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:20 AM

NineIron - Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:16 AM

Sorry. I copied, pasted and ran your code. This error popped up.

I ran the query inside the CTE like this................

SELECT

col.[name]

--LEFT([col].[name],PATINDEX('%[0-9]%',[col].[name]) - 1),

--CAST(RIGHT([col].[name], LEN([col].[name]) - (PATINDEX('%[0-9]%',[col].[name]) - 1)) AS INT)

FROM [tempdb].[sys].[tables] AS [tab]

INNER JOIN [tempdb].[sys].[columns] AS [col]

ON [col].[object_id] = [tab].[object_id]

WHERE [tab].[name] LIKE '#T%'

AND ([col].[name] LIKE 'diag%' OR [col].[name] LIKE 'poa%')

and got ................
    Looks like an extra poa and maybe that's why it choked on coverting something to an int?
    name
    diag1
    diag2
    diag3
    diag4
    diag5
    poa1
    poa2
    poa3
    poa4
    poa5
    poa

Do you have a column named poa with no numeric value appended?  The code I wrote based on your original post works on multiple machines with no problem.

Just answered my own question.  I added an additional column named poa and got the same error you posted. Your diag and poa column names must have a numeric value appended for the code to work.

• Each poa and diag has a number at the end. Take a peek at this section of code from the sp. The source data always has included, a DiagnosisUrnID that is concatenated to the diag and poa.

declare @POASql nvarchar(max);

declare @POAColumns nvarchar(max);

set @POAColumns = N'';

;with cteDiagUrn_poa

as

(

select t1.DiagnosisUrnID

from #T1 t1

group by t1.DiagnosisUrnID

)

select @POAColumns += N', p.' + quotename('poa'+convert(varchar(10), cte.DiagnosisUrnID))

from cteDiagUrn_poa cte

order by cte.DiagnosisUrnID;

set @POAColumns = stuff(@POAColumns, 1, 2, '');

• There is a table called #T1 in sys.tables. How can I drop it from tempdb?

name
    #T__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________00000000250F
    #T__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________00000000250F
    #T1_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________000000001E45

• Rather than use #T, I create a table called #Test. I wasn't able to drop the table, #T1.
    The code works fine.............which you already knew.
    Thanx for the help.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply