Using DPM to restore COPY_ONLY FULL + TLOGs for an Availability Group

• Hey all,

This really isn't a DPM specific matter, but more so my lack of understanding of how copy_only truly works.

I've verified that DPM inherits an availability group's backup preferences. In that, Server1 is primary, Server2 is secondary. Run a full backup within DPM and it logs against Server2's msdb, with a 1 for is_copy_only from backupset. The transaction logs on the other hand, are not a copy_only. This by definition is working as intended.

My question is this. If a copy_only full backup is performed nightly, how will this negatively effect future restores? The sequence will only ever be altered if a non copy_only is run. Meaning would I have any issues with restoring any specified copy_only backup + the tlog backups that occurred thereafter?

Thanks

• Adam Bean (4/10/2015)

Hey all,

This really isn't a DPM specific matter, but more so my lack of understanding of how copy_only truly works.

I've verified that DPM inherits an availability group's backup preferences. In that, Server1 is primary, Server2 is secondary. Run a full backup within DPM and it logs against Server2's msdb, with a 1 for is_copy_only from backupset. The transaction logs on the other hand, are not a copy_only. This by definition is working as intended.

My question is this. If a copy_only full backup is performed nightly, how will this negatively effect future restores? The sequence will only ever be altered if a non copy_only is run. Meaning would I have any issues with restoring any specified copy_only backup + the tlog backups that occurred thereafter?

Thanks

a full backup with copy_only merely stops the differential bitmap from clearing on changed pages. You can still use a copy_only full backup and an unbroken log chain to restore a database

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply