Using Disable Publishing and Distribution

• I am performing an upgrade to our ERP application this weekend that uses SQL Server.  We have a transactional publication setup against that database that needs to be disabled during the upgrade.  I can right click the Replication node in SSMS and select Disable Publishing and Distribution, but I've never used that option before.  Last time, I deleted the Publication and rebuilt it.

Is using Disable Publishing and Distribution as easy as it sounds?  Once my upgrade is complete, will there be an option present to re-enable that has a wizard like the Disable option does?

I guess I need to know what the best option is when upgrading the publishing database; using the Disable and associated wizard?  Stopping the Snapshot and Log Reader Agents along with stopping synchronization to the Subscriber?  Or deleting the Publication completely and rebuilding it?

Thanks in advance.

• Disable Publishing and Distribution can be easy but you can also run into errors at times, usually if you have some type of inconsistency with the meta data. But it may not do what you are expecting it to do - so there is nothing to just re-eneable everything. The Disable Publishing and Distribution removes the subscriptions, removes the publications, etc. I believe there is an option to keep the distribution database but that's about it. If you are trying to temporarily pause all the replication, you would disable the replication agent jobs. I don't know what the ERP requirements are regarding being replicated so it could be that you need to remove it for the upgrade. My preference, if it's doable due to size, time constraints, is to delete/remove all the replication and just recreate it after the upgrade. It tends to be a "cleaner" approach with fewer potential problems.

Sue

• Thanks for the recommendation.  The last upgrade gave me a warning about it running so I removed everything as I said when disabling didn't satisfy the error if memory serves.  When I attempted this upgrade last month (had to roll back for other reasons) I received no warning.

I'm probably going to take the delete everything and recreate approach since it worked for me last time.

Thanks again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply