Using CTE in Scalar Function

• I am trying to use a CTE (Common Table Expression) within a ScalarFunction . Am I able to do this. I am get several red squiggly line errors right now.  ("Incorrect syntax near Declare" ,"Invalid column name DateEffective","Invalid Object Name inceptionCTE",

"Invalid column name PriorPolicy") Is there a way to do this and make SQL SERVER happy ? Can anybody tell me what I would need to do with this function ? Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated.

--Jason

USE [Premdat]
    GO
    /****** Object: UserDefinedFunction [dbo].[fnJasonCreate] Script Date: 4/15/2019 3:24:10 PM ******/
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO

ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[fnJasonCreate]
    (-- Add the parameters for the function here
    @pol VARCHAR(10)
    )

RETURNS Datetime
    AS

BEGIN

;WITH InceptionCTE AS (
    SELECT p.[Policy], p.PolicyID, p.DateEffective, p.DateExpiration, p.QuoteNum, p.PriorPolicy
    FROM PolicyData p WITH(NOLOCK)
    WHERE p.[PolicyID] = @pol

UNION ALL

SELECT p.[Policy], p.PolicyID, p.DateEffective, p.DateExpiration, p.QuoteNum, p.PriorPolicy
    FROM PolicyData p WITH(NOLOCK)
    INNER JOIN InceptionCTE cd ON cd.PriorPolicy = p.[Policy]
    )

DECLARE @InceptionDate DATETIME
    SET @InceptionDate = (SELECT DateEffective FROM InceptionCTE WHERE PriorPolicy = 'New')

RETURN @InceptionDate
    END

• Couldn't test it, but give this a try:

USE [Premdat]
    GO
    /****** Object: UserDefinedFunction [dbo].[fnJasonCreate] Script Date: 4/15/2019 3:24:10 PM ******/
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO
    ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[fnJasonCreate]
    (-- Add the parameters for the function here
    @pol VARCHAR(10)
    )
    RETURNS Datetime
    AS

BEGIN
    DECLARE @InceptionDate DATETIME;

WITH InceptionCTE AS (
    SELECT
    p.[Policy]
    , p.PolicyID
    , p.DateEffective
    , p.DateExpiration
    , p.QuoteNum
    , p.PriorPolicy
    FROM
    PolicyData p
    WHERE
    p.[PolicyID] = @pol
    UNION ALL
    SELECT
    p.[Policy]
    , p.PolicyID
    , p.DateEffective
    , p.DateExpiration
    , p.QuoteNum
    , p.PriorPolicy
    FROM
    PolicyData p
    INNER JOIN InceptionCTE cd
    ON cd.PriorPolicy = p.[Policy]
    )
    SELECT @InceptionDate = DateEffective FROM InceptionCTE WHERE PriorPolicy = 'New';

RETURN @InceptionDate
    END
  • Keep in mind if that CTE returns more than 1 record you might get some unexpected results.

• ZZartin wrote:

Keep in mind if that CTE returns more than 1 record you might get some unexpected results.

True, but the OP also needs to know how to correctly use a CTE as part of a query.

• This helped . Thank you very much

• To clarify why you got an error:

After the CTE definition, you had a DECLARE variable statement. You can only use a CTE within the context of DML language (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, MERGE).

• Semicolon is missing before the WITH, ohterwise ok

• mark.hausmann wrote:

Semicolon is missing before the WITH, ohterwise ok

semi-colon is a statement terminator.  Why would you need a semi-colon 'before' the WITH?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Instead of worrying about where the bloody semi-colon goes, someone needs to convince this fellow that this absolutely needs to be converted to a single value iTVF or "iSF" and how to call it because I know how this "policy number" stuff works in real life and it's going to beat the crap out of the OP's server.

@jason... as Lynn said, he wrote some code but hasn't tested it because he has no test data.  Please see the article at the first link in my signature line below for one way to provide the "Readily Consumable" test data that would help us help you a whole lot more.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply