Using Clear Language to Avoid Confusion

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using Clear Language to Avoid Confusion

• Agreed. Writing and speaking aren't about the writer/speaker, they're about the reader/listener.

• A "Fisher-Price" interface. WOW, I haven't heard that phrase in a long time. It's a good description as to how to make a good interface for users. One that I don't see followed often.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I was introduced to the example of the "Upthing explainer" in https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thing-Explainer-Complicated-Stuff-Simple/dp/1473620910

I loved the explanation of the Saturn V rocket (“U.S. Space Team’s Up Goer Five”): “Lots of fire comes out here. This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem, and you will not go to space today.”

• As much as I don't like them now, and I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed working on it, I appreciated the simplicity of the iPhone 4/5/6 where they really limited things to make it simple.

I find a lot of software doesn't do this well. I've started to make notes on strange issues, more to vent for myself than force change, but it certainly makes me think hard about design choices.

I'm especially more careful now with how I give feedback for our products.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply