Using Check Constraint

• I have created a table and I have included a check constraint, but it doesn't seem to be working the way I thought it would. Here is the code that I have built on the table. I thought this was supposed to only allow records that have School_Year_Key=10 into the table and any records that has a different value would not load into the target table.

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[APSB_FACT_SYK10] WITH NOCHECK ADD CONSTRAINT [CK_SCHOOL_YEAR_KEY_10] CHECK (([SCHOOL_YEAR_KEY]=(10)))

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[APSB_FACT_SYK10] CHECK CONSTRAINT [CK_SCHOOL_YEAR_KEY_10]

GO

Can someone please let me know what I am doing wrong. I tried testing this by running an ETL workflow that has only records where school_year_key=9. I was expecting no records to make it to the target table, but instead all the records loaded.

Thanks for the help.

• Did you use SSIS to load the data? If yes, are check constraints enabled in the OLE DB Destination?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (7/11/2014)

Did you use SSIS to load the data? If yes, are check constraints enabled in the OLE DB Destination?

I am using SSIS and I literally just saw that check box. To prevent the dataflow from failing, do I just update the error output to "Ignore Failure"?

Thanks for the quick feedback Koen.

• skaggs.andrew (7/11/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/11/2014)

Did you use SSIS to load the data? If yes, are check constraints enabled in the OLE DB Destination?

I am using SSIS and I literally just saw that check box. To prevent the dataflow from failing, do I just update the error output to "Ignore Failure"?

Yes. Or you can redirect it to an error file.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply